Recording drums with 4-track: how to set up & get starte

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

the_lauris
audio school graduate

Post by the_lauris » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:40 pm

Gee whiz, I've never heard of this amazing thing called Google where you can type things in and click a button and magical information about anything you could ever want or need to know about mysteriously appears right before my eyes! I'm so glad you showed it to me, because you really changed my life just then.

::eye roll::

Seriously, folks, that last exchange was pretty condescending, catty, and petty.

The reason I came to this board was because I was looking for insightful advice from people who actually give a shit about recording music, and all you've succeeded in doing with your catty little condescending "let me google that for you" link and subsequent comments is making me feel like an idiot.

This is supposed to be a community of people who are here to share information and help each other, not a place for people who think they know everything to embarrass and pick on newcomers like me, who post here because we want to learn the recording process.

If I wanted to sift through the annals of the internet for advice about what to do and what certain terms mean, I could have done that on my own, without this board.

Judging from the attitude you people just displayed, maybe I should just go search Google for everything I want to know.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:46 pm

>>>>This is supposed to be a community of people who are here to share information and help each other, not a place for people who think they know everything to embarrass and pick on newcomers like me, who post here because we want to learn the recording process.<<<<

Hey man, you are so right (no irony or condescension intended). So sorry; my only defense is it was almost 4:00am and I was feeling goofy, but no offense intended, and none taken by your appropriate schooling and re-focusing of the thread. For my part (which was only slyly applauding someone else's part ;>] ) I offer my sincerest and humblest apologies.

You are not an idiot. I am feeling more idiotic, though...

GJ

Cyan421
takin' a dinner break

Post by Cyan421 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:43 pm

only three other people tried to explain stereo miking before I posted that and you were still displaying a significant misunderstanding of it. So you're welcome. I will be glad to share more information with you.

What I really meant to post to clarify what I said in my first post about "spaced pair" is below.

Spaced pair:

Uses two mics spaced a few feet apart, aiming straight ahead.
Time differences between channels produce the stereo effect.
Off-center images are diffuse.
Stereo spread tends to be exaggerated unless a third center mic is used, or unless spacing is
under 2 to 3 feet.
Provides a warm sense of ambience.
Provides excellent low-frequency response if you use omni condensers.
Tends not to be mono compatible, but this may not be audible.
"What a wonerful smell you've discovered"

the_lauris
audio school graduate

Post by the_lauris » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:29 pm

"only three other people tried to explain stereo miking before I posted that and you were still displaying a significant misunderstanding of it."

...I'm pretty sure most of what I was posting was about exploring different options. I distinctly recall asking about using a mixer, tracking options on my 4-track, what mono drums sound like vs. stereo drums, and, finally, what stereo miking actually is. There's a lot to know about recording and I'm not an idiot. Like I said before in one of my previous posts, now that I understand my equipment and miking options, I can try some different techniques and see what I like.

Also, bear in mind, I am new at this, and I'm interested in learning what there is to know about all my options. So, thanks for the clarifications about what a spaced pair is. That's the type of info I was looking for when I asked.