Teenage Engineering OP-1

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

palinilap
buyin' gear

Teenage Engineering OP-1

Post by palinilap » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:44 am

A synth/sampler/sequencer with a built-in tape machine and FM radio with USB connectivity? What?

http://www.teenageengineering.com/products/op-1

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:59 am

I want this, NOW!

How much and where?

GJ

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:33 pm

Well it ain't a real tape machine, simulated. I agree it looks cool but the price is a little high for a toy. Much better bang for buck keys out there like the Alesis Fusion.

austingreen
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by austingreen » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:19 pm

When i first saw this I also said, "oh shit something else i need to have," but after seeing the price, whoa, that's too steep for what it is.
I got one of those akai synthstation for my iphone ($60 on amazon) and i think it can do all this and more. plus the actual keybaord is surprisingly solid for what I assumed would be a cheap toy, just as good if not better than most usb controllers.

http://www.amazon.com/Akai-SYNTHSTATION ... B0038YX3C2

It only works with a dozen or so apps, but a few of the ones it does work with are really great and fun. This has been the best bang for the buck I've had where $ = fun. I have not used the akai app sold seperately though, looked lame.

palinilap
buyin' gear

Post by palinilap » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:57 pm

kslight wrote:Well it ain't a real tape machine, simulated. I agree it looks cool but the price is a little high for a toy. Much better bang for buck keys out there like the Alesis Fusion.
Ah, that makes more sense. I was naively thinking it actually had a built-in cassette 4-track that automatically converted to WAV. Duh. They really need to throw the word "virtual" into their marketing. Prices on ebay have inflated beyond retail since they're out of stock. People are paying over a grand for this little fella.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:51 pm

Yeah, I was hot to trot, but I did find the MSRLP, and the ever-growing out-of-stock mark-up cost, and thought "Woah! No way." It looks really cool, but I can't afford something like that right now.

I think there are a few lost in translation problems with their website text...

Does that Akai hardware work with the iPod Touch?

GJ

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:43 pm

OK, I just watched a mess of YouTube demos on the OP-1. I wouldn't call it a "toy" at all. If you're into electronic music, noise, Hip-Hop production, DJ stuff, this just might be the ticket. It's got some cool sounds, nice features and functionality, people are commenting positively on it's weight and "road-readiness," and it has the sweetest little Star Trek Tri-Corder display screen.

It still seems a bit overpriced to me, and apparently, "good luck" getting one right now, but I'll be watching this unit, because it does some sweet stuff.

GJ

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

Post by TV Lenny » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:48 am

I like the woman.
White Oak Guitars - Fine boutique handmade guitar & bass pickups

ulriggribbons
steve albini likes it

Post by ulriggribbons » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:36 am

I'm in the boat with Lenny.

I'm firing my marketing department. What I really need is a picture of her fondling my microphone :D

Jonkan
ass engineer

Post by Jonkan » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:21 pm

I have one! Most fun ive had in a long time!! Seriously inspiring and fun instrument. Plus the portability and long battery time is a big plus.

/J

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:52 pm

Gregg Juke wrote:OK, I just watched a mess of YouTube demos on the OP-1. I wouldn't call it a "toy" at all. If you're into electronic music, noise, Hip-Hop production, DJ stuff, this just might be the ticket. It's got some cool sounds, nice features and functionality, people are commenting positively on it's weight and "road-readiness," and it has the sweetest little Star Trek Tri-Corder display screen.

It still seems a bit overpriced to me, and apparently, "good luck" getting one right now, but I'll be watching this unit, because it does some sweet stuff.

GJ
Looks suspiciously similar to a Casio VL Tone...aka the definition of toy keyboard. Big turnoff for me is the push button keyboard (hence the Casio reference) and the price. Also I don't understand the people that want to pay $200+ over retail for this just so they don't have to wait another month to get it (this same thing happened when they were backordered before). If portability is the concern an iPad with the right software can do everything this can and more, and for half the price you can get a comparably spec'd full size used keyboard....

It looks cool but not for $799. More like a $399 product...