Basses - what replaces a pretty cool precision?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

standup
re-cappin' neve

Basses - what replaces a pretty cool precision?

Post by standup » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:23 pm

This may be ridiculous. But I've got a '79 Fender Precision / Antigua finish that I gig with regularly. Apparently replacing it would cost me somewhere between $1500-$2500 if it was lost/stolen/destroyed/etc.

So I'm thinking about maybe buying a cheaper bass to actually haul around to bars and stuff. Is that ridiculous? Or should I just gig with this pretty cool bass? I've had it since I was 17 and totally have a symbiotic relationship with it. I took a decade off to play almost all standup bass, but now I'm back to playing mostly this one precision bass. I bought it used in 1983 with a DiMarzio P-bass pickup in it that I've always preferred to stock Fender pickups. It's now very, very worn. Maple neck, and I should probably have the neck stripped and refinished since it's very ugly. It's a hard-core player bass and will smell like cigarette smoke til long after we're all dead, even though none of the places I play now allow smoking.

Anyway, I like a real warm, lo-middy sound. Ranging from super-warm to SVT-ish grind from a Sans Amp Bass DI. I hate the scooped bass sound that has a little tinkly sparkle on top, no mids, and bloated lows that barely hint at the note played.

I was thinking about playing a Reverend now that they're making basses again, or looking for an old Rumblefish (I liked the ones I played back in the day, but then I'm back to a hard-to-replace vintage instrument in a way).

I want to play the Eastwood Ampeg scroll bass copy, and see if that's any good. I played one of the original ones a long time ago that was heavily modified and it was a pretty cool bass.

If I go down this road, what else should I play? I'm not really considering current Fenders or high-end Lakland/Spector/Sadowsky at all. Something a little funky would be cool.

Any thoughts?

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:47 pm

I say if you like it don't change it... Another precision is all that'll probably really replace it for you anyway...

But I like Steinbergers quite a bit and I have this ugly purple wine puke burst Daisy Rock Elite Bass that they were blowing out for nothing...totally killer with flats though it looks pretty gay...I don't gig as a bassist so I really don't care.

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:51 pm

What about one of the squier classic vibe series? These may be way too lowbrow for you, but i'll probably end up with one in the near future. :oops:

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:08 pm

I've mixed a few records that used an Eastwood Ampeg copy. I have no idea how it plays but I have to say that it records terribly. Part of the problem could be the player/amp/recording chain/engineer but I've mixed three records with it now and it's been a major pain to get anything decent out of it. YMMV.
Anyway....... I decided a little while ago that I finally needed a good sounding bass for the studio. I started out as a bass player but haven't really played much in many years and I haven't owned a bass in years. I was after something P-bassish but really didn't want to spend $2k. After looking around and playing lots of new and used Fenders I settled on an early 80's Japanese Squire Bullet Bass. It plays and sounds great and is really well made. Plus it was only $500. I like it much more than any new Fender I played and I couldn't really afford a decent used P-Bass. It's a bit of an oddball and people scoff when they first see it but it's ended up on a bunch of records even when there were classier basses to choose from.
I'd have to say that it's worth looking at any of those early Squires. Most of them have aged really well and they're a bargain compared to new or used Fenders.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:17 pm

I have a parts Precision I love a lot.

I also have a Alvarez bass I like quite a bit ...

I also like my MIJ Jaco Jazz fretless. In general, judging by that, a Tele I used to have, and my Super Strat, the MIJ ones is pretty good.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:52 pm

It distinctly doesn't have to be a Precision. My fretless is a Guild B-301 -- plays great, has amazing tone. Heavy, though, very heavy. If I could afford a fretted B-302 I'd just get that, but again it's a vintage hard-to-replace instrument. I've got a Hondo that I slapped a MM pickup in, but the neck isn't great (too skinny, really) and the tone of that pickup is not ideal. Not enough mids.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:57 pm

Why not play the bass you enjoy, and get some inexpensive insurance against the unlikely scenarios you described? (I understand your p.o.v.; I have lots of "studio only" gear too, but if you really like this instrument...)

If you join the Musician's Union (not necessarily advocating for or against, that's a whole other very long discussion, but) they have pretty cheap rates available on instrument insurance, from what I understand.

GJ

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:35 pm

i'm a professional bassist, i have one bass that i use on everything, a 1969 fender jazz. i have it insured (musicpro) but i have flown all over the world, us, canada with it and have played venues big and small.

if it's your favorite why use something else? just insure it and then if it ever breaks/stolen you get another one.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:58 pm

what replaces a pretty cool precision?
a really cool precision.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:36 am

check out some Peavey bass action for your down low fix.

I've had a Peavey Foundation since the late 80's, and have preferred it (especially for live use) over two different 1970 P-basses I've owned.

You can get them cheap, I mean real cheap, like $200-ish.

There are also the even earlier T-40 and T-45 Peavey basses. Those are even cooler, but really effin heavy.
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:58 am

You will laugh at me, but - Samick. I had a Samick PJ bass I bought about 4 years ago for under $200, and with a little tweaking was a real player. Lightweight, too, took a load off my shoulder and balanced nice.

I sold it to a friend who gigs with it, since I decided playing bass caused too much damage to my wrists and left shoulder. :(

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:39 am

A Mexican P-bass is made well with the same parts as the Corona basses.
About 500 bucks IF you look around for a good one. Throw a jazz pickup on it for more fun.

OR, get Warmouth to make you a nice body and neck, pretty cheap too. They can cut it anyway you want, any wood you want, any finish you want.

A nice flame maple neck with an ebony fingerboard and stainless steel frets will last a lifetime of wear. A nice tonewood body will also help. You can "build it on site" at their website.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:16 am

I know you said you're not specifically looking for a P-Bass, but I'm with Jim Williams, try MIMs. A couple years ago I went to a store intending to buy an Fender American Jazz. I tried out a number of them, and just wasn't in love with anything. Not anything against them in general, I'm sure they just happened to have a handful of them that weren't feeling so great. I was about to leave, but the cream finish of a MIM Deluxe Active Jazz caught my eye and I figured what the hell? I tried it, and LOVED it. If it wasn't labeled, I'd assume it was American. The neck on it is my favorite bass neck I've ever played - it's got a very thin and perfectly smooth finish, a pretty decent fret job, and sounds great. I've had many players in here who have ended up using mine over their basses (including an American P-Bass last weekend). So I'd bet that if you go to a store and play a handful of Mexicans, you just might find one that's surprisingly solid. Personally I really want a P-Bass now as I've realized over time that I just like the sound of them better for recording, but I haven't acted on that desire yet because I love this Jazz bass so much.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:13 am

insure it, then play the shit out of it everywhere.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:24 am

roygbiv wrote:check out some Peavey bass action for your down low fix.

I've had a Peavey Foundation since the late 80's, and have preferred it (especially for live use) over two different 1970 P-basses I've owned.

You can get them cheap, I mean real cheap, like $200-ish.

There are also the even earlier T-40 and T-45 Peavey basses. Those are even cooler, but really effin heavy.
+1 on the Foundation. I used one for years and was always very happy with it. The T-40 is better sounding but will break your back; they weigh about a car.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/