BEST REVERB PLUG?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

nestle
re-cappin' neve

BEST REVERB PLUG?

Post by nestle » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:15 am

Working at a studio and we have the WAVES plugs but really coming up short on in the box reverb. At home I've been using the UA EMT/LEXICON and loving it but it wont work here because of hardware issues, any thoughts??. using PT9 HD.
what's working for y'all?

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:45 am

Strange,

I have Waves IR1, RealVerb, and Trueverb.

Once you tweak those, you get really great results.

I love IR1.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:28 pm

Found some useful settings in the realverb and Rverb too. Must admit I haven't checked the IR-L out yet, the main reason is the preset impulse files aren't loaded and it isn't my studio, does anyone know where I find them??, in the hell fire of a session or I'd just hunker down and do the research...

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:09 pm

Valhalla Room is the coolest ITB reverb I've ever run across. $50. The Reaper of Reverbs.

Like listening to a cool Reverb when you are really high. Even when you aren't.

http://www.valhalladsp.com/valhallaroom

Check out some examples on this page:
http://valhalladsp.wordpress.com/tag/valhallaroom/

They also have a cool, seperate "Shimmer" plugin, so's you can get your inner Eno on.

http://www.valhalladsp.com/valhallashimmer

Check this sound from Shimmer:
http://valhalladsp.wordpress.com/2010/0 ... lashimmer/

One other cool thing about Valhalla - he has a forum and posts lots of tips/tricks about signal processing. Very cool business, IMHO.
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:18 pm

just downloaded the Valhalla demo, holy smokes VERY impressive. Thank you, great tip... this plug rocks, smooth musical sound, great trails. PPppfff price?, absurd value.

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:25 pm

I know, its crazy, isn't it? Seriously, I can't believe how fantastic, three-dimensional/natural sounding AND cheap this is.

Really easy to use (the programmer guy followed some kind of NASA protocol for ease-of-use GUI design).
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:07 pm

epicverb. freeware. amazing.
the new rules : there are no rules

alcoyot
audio school graduate

Post by alcoyot » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:46 pm

This depends on what kind of reverb is appropriate for the music, and personal preference. My favorite one that I've tried was the LX480. It sounds so cool to me, but the problem with it is that it makes everything sound so "80s". Its not going to be the best fit for every use.
I've tried the valhalla, but I didn't find it better than my built in daw verbs, and I preferred tc electronic m30 at about the same price.
One verb I really like which grows on me every time I use it is the free poor plate. I don't think there's anything else that can get that great plate graininess, and I've used that a bunch. It can get tin cannish at high settings, but that's not such a problem any more as I'm getting a bit more conservative when it comes to heavy use.
I haven't actually tried out any high end verb plugins because I won't be buying one any time soon. I'm not really a big fan of the ultra dense long tail sound, because its too cheesy for my taste. On the flip side I also don't like ones that go all out to get a super realistic normal room sound, that's just boring.
I'm intrigued by aether, but I don't think my computer is good enough for it. It will be cool years from now when computers will be so powerful that it won't be an issue any more.

kinger
steve albini likes it

Post by kinger » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:11 pm

roygbiv wrote:Valhalla Room is the coolest ITB reverb I've ever run across. $50. The Reaper of Reverbs.
Definitely this.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:26 pm

nestle wrote:Found some useful settings in the realverb and Rverb too. Must admit I haven't checked the IR-L out yet, the main reason is the preset impulse files aren't loaded and it isn't my studio, does anyone know where I find them??, in the hell fire of a session or I'd just hunker down and do the research...
If you have a Waves account, you can download them from their Ir library, or order a DVD of them.

You can also load your own... once you know how to make them. This make IR reverbs very useful indeed.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:20 pm

Waves is nice, but I prefer sonnox hands down their plugins are all amazing. The reverb is completely worth checking out.

I can also wholeheartedly recommend audioease's speakerphone. I can only imagine how amazing altiverb must be.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:15 am

this is a good example of "different strokes" - i heard the sonnox verbs and they sounded like plastic to me...

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:08 pm

joninc wrote:epicverb. freeware. amazing.
+1,000 on this
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:49 pm

Wow. Sony Oxford reverb plastic? To me it's amazingly capable, with unique and useful tools to tweak it's overall tone.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:54 pm

different strokes y'now?