Looking for a mastering engineer to start a pro relationship

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mechanicalmastering
takin' a dinner break

Post by mechanicalmastering » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:29 pm

your test is a good one and i tried it years ago. i used the breeders 'pod', about as hifi a rock record as you can get. i heard a tiny, tiny difference in the converted file, if i really listened. it wasn't anything close to a significant reduction in quality.
Really? Exactly as I described? I find that to be pretty suspect, and I don't believe you, why didn't you mention that from the beginning? I call shenanigans. Even if what you say is true, I ran that test myself using a really nice boutique converter and the results were there, I used to use the sample to illustrate this very point to my students. Besides, just because you couldn't hear a noticeably significant difference, that doesn't mean that I wouldn't have.
i uploaded the full original and converted files of my little sample just for you.

which one sounds terrible?
They BOTH do, hahahaha! Kidding, although I appreciate your all that hard work and effort on my behalf, and I truly do, but I'm not around an adequate set of studio monitors at the moment to hear your sample, and when I do get around some, I'm probably not going to care enough to remember.
Last edited by mechanicalmastering on Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:57 pm

you are being a dick.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:37 pm

This whole exchange is hilarious! MASTERING NERD ALERT!
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:53 am

So that's how Scott gets away with it! He lures you in with his reasonable rates and fools you by making your tracks sound better, but really he is making a killing by selling all those extra bits on the black market.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:17 am

Jitters wrote:So that's how Scott gets away with it! He lures you in with his reasonable rates and fools you by making your tracks sound better, but really he is making a killing by selling all those extra bits on the black market.
Bahahahaha bastard.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:42 am

i guess i have to come clean now. jitters is right. whilst posing as a mastering engineer on here for years, i've been secretly collecting bits of all your music through my nefarious DAD conversion process.

once a month i take all the accumulated bits and drive down to teaneck, NJ, where i sell them to a guy in the russian mafia. i don't know his name. we've never spoken. we just grunt at each other.

the russian mafia takes the bits to a secret processing plant, where a team of incredibly brilliant (if ethically suspect) scientists transform them into New Car Smell.

so now you know.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:59 pm

mechanicalmastering wrote: Sure it "sounds" better, in a cosmetic kind of way, you're running the mix through some awesome hardware! Problem is, while obtaining all that awesome color you're also losing a lot of bits of information in the process. It's like, (and this is a really bad analogy), imagine reducing a 16-bit recording down to 8 bits, but you get to add some cooler sounding color/effect in the process,,, in my humble opinion, the trade-off is not worth it, not if there is another way to get that color that doesn't involve PUTTING A ZILLION BITS OF INFORMATION INTO THE AIR AND PRAYING THAT THEY WILL ALL FALL BACK IN THE EXACT SAME SPACES. Don't get me wrong, I am a ADVOCATE of hardware! Really! I love tape and outboard processing, and my studio is called Analog Sound. The drawbacks just do not outway the benefits, if there was a way of switching back and forth to hardware without losing information then please, let me know, because I would really love to hear it!

I don't understand, if the music sounds better, isn't it better?...

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:22 pm

The music SMELLS better.
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:40 pm

mechanicalmastering wrote: Sure it "sounds" better, in a cosmetic kind of way, you're running the mix through some awesome hardware! Problem is, while obtaining all that awesome color you're also losing a lot of bits of information in the process.
mechanicalmastering wrote: If everyone wants to combat me on this, does that mean that you guys DON'T believe that anything gets lost when you xfer from digital to analog and back to digital? You reeeally think that every last one of those bits make it back? Really?
Of course everything doesn't fall into place in the same manner. You're converting in the first place so that you can make some changes. Most people seem to agree that with good converters, 2 extra conversions isn't a big deal, and is generally worth it if there is some benefit to be had in the analog realm.

If it sounds better, it is better.

I find your point of view troubling. It makes me... uncomfortable.
vvv wrote:
That said, what I'm gettin' at is, perfectionism is for the truly defective.

You may quote me.

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:44 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote: once a month i take all the accumulated bits and drive down to teaneck, NJ, where i sell them to a guy in the russian mafia. i don't know his name. we've never spoken. we just grunt at each other.
Say hi to Ivan for me.
vvv wrote:
That said, what I'm gettin' at is, perfectionism is for the truly defective.

You may quote me.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:28 pm

ipressrecord wrote:The music SMELLS better.
Smell-O-Hearing. My monitors emit, jellybean scent.

hank alrich
alignin' 24-trk

Post by hank alrich » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:55 am

The whole reason I appreciate my mastering engineer in the first place is that I am not looking to get all the bits back as they were prior to mastering. If that's what I wanted, I'd send it off without bothering to pay for that terrific analog chain in a beautifully tweaked acoustical environment while listening over a fifty-plus grand system, all operated by a guy with amazing ears and decades of experience.

This is a very entertaining thread. I need to alert my guy to the extra dough he could be making by undercutting Scott on those extra black market bits. Break the Hull Monopoly!

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:28 pm

Yikes!

I've been mixing OTB from a DAW for years now! No telling how many bits I've lost over the years. I've been handing my clients cosmetically pleasing mixes for years without ever considering how many bits I'm losing!!! Are these lost bits covered by insurance?

hank alrich
alignin' 24-trk

Post by hank alrich » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:46 pm

Sorry, sir, this is crash-inna-box; lost bits is down the hallway.

HTH

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:10 pm

hank alrich wrote:I need to alert my guy to the extra dough he could be making by undercutting Scott on those extra black market bits. Break the Hull Monopoly!
note: i'm not scott hull. unfortunately for me. regardless, you and your guy stay the hell away from my turf. russian mafia make missing bits of YOU!