Help with room treatment materials

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Shellacattack
alignin' 24-trk

Help with room treatment materials

Post by Shellacattack » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:16 pm

Hmmm, I guess this should go in gear talk...

My control room is just the basement of my house, with odd corners, and low ceilings. On a previous thread, several members suggested I look into some room treatment. I've been looking around a lot, and have found decent deals on OC 703 panels and similar stuff, but I think I might want to go a more natural route with these things - i.e. stay away from fiberglass.

With that in mind... any suggestions? I'm going to say my budget is no more than $500. Also, please speak up if you think I'm overreacting on the fiberglass front, or if you think there isn't really an alternative to it.

Thank you for your help guys!
"Took my money, I couldn't buy nothin. I'm sick of this brave new world."

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:48 pm

Best thing I ever did for my basement music stuff was to stuff the ceiling with UltraTouch cotton insulation (in between the joists).

Got rid of a lot of feedback, sounds more open. I also bought OC 703 and made some moveable bass traps/sound absorbers, but the biggest difference (for my low-ceiling basement setup) was the insulation in the ceiling joists.
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

E.Bennett
re-cappin' neve

Post by E.Bennett » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:51 pm

Roxul mineral wool. It can be special ordered through home depot. The incarnation sold at home depot is called safe n' sound.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:20 pm

I've used 703 fiberglass, ultratouch and roxul and by far my favorite was the roxul. I feel like it has fiberglas-like acoustic properties without the itch. It's not as fluffy and soft as the ultratouch, but for some reason it's basically itch free and I feel like the fluffiness of the ultratouch is what makes it less absorbant.

Every time a thread like this pops up it makes me want to buy another bale (bag? I don't know what you call the form it comes in. It's not exactly sheets or rolls.) of Roxul.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:05 am

Don't get hung up on the materials. Anything fluffy will do inside wall cavities. If you have to leave the wall cavity open, then you are best off using ultra touch as it won't be shedding fiberglass on you.

Anything that is enclosed wall/ceilings use regular fiberglass insulation. Anything else just costs more and delivers the same performance.

As far as acoustic treatments go I would highly recommend using either 703 or 813 or whatever the mfg is calling their brand of rigid insulation.

The rock wool of even the highest density sheds and is extremely irritating to my skin and lungs. I don't have any problems working with the rigid insulation The rigid stuff is a little more nexpensive, but is easier to work with.

Shellacattack
alignin' 24-trk

Re: Help with room treatment materials

Post by Shellacattack » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:00 pm

Oh shoot, I should probably clarify something: I live in a rental, so I can't do any work on the insulation. I'm only looking into things that can be mounted on the wall (which will be another challenge, as one wall is concrete). I'm just trying to find the right panels to get. Auralex panels seem nice, but are waaay too much money.
"Took my money, I couldn't buy nothin. I'm sick of this brave new world."

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:02 pm

I'm not sure Auralex makes anything worth a damn. You want Roxul or rigid Fiberglass.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Dominick Costanzo
pushin' record

Post by Dominick Costanzo » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:28 pm

You should have posted this in the "making a space" forum.

What are the dimensions of your room?
What are the walls, floor and ceiling constructed of?

What are you trying to do?
Control HF & MF reflections?
Bass trapping?
Diffusion?
Some or all of the above?

Snarl 12/8 is right. Auralex stuff is pretty useless.
Dominick Costanzo