resurrected

Post by Brian » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:46 am

Larry C. Best post yet.
Harumph!

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:31 am

Interns and aspiring engineers: I was just refilling the c-fold towel dispensers (exciting, I know) and remembered how difficult it was for interns to load these properly time after time. So, if you can't properly deal with the routine of loading a low-tech device such as this when do you think you'll be ready for calibrating a tape deck? Seriously. Read Jim Scott's interview again.

Jim Scott:
"Everyone was a little younger than me. Being a little older actually worked out to my advantage - I already had life experience. If my job as janitor was to clean the bathroom, I just did it right and then I did the next job they give me right and I got a reputation for doing things right. ?Who should do this job? We need somebody to take this guy to the airport.? ?Ask Jim because Jim will get him there on time.? ?We need somebody to go get five sandwiches. It?s Brooks Arthur and he?s not having a good day, so we need the sandwich to be right when it comes back.?
You make sure if somebody wants pickles, he has pickles. You check the order. You check the cassette when somebody says, ?Make a cassette of the new Rod Stewart record and take it over to Rod Stewart?s house.? You don?t just make a cassette and run up there. You make a cassette and then you listen to it. If the cassette doesn?t sound good you make another. I don?t think it?s hard, but you?ve got to have a pride in it - in anything. Just do a great job and somebody will recognize it and hire you again. If you do a really crummy job they definitely will not hire you again. It?s not just about recording and engineering. It?s about anything, any job."
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:38 am

TapeOpLarry wrote:Interns and aspiring engineers: I was just refilling the c-fold towel dispensers (exciting, I know) and remembered how difficult it was for interns to load these properly time after time. So, if you can't properly deal with the routine of loading a low-tech device such as this when do you think you'll be ready for calibrating a tape deck? Seriously. Read Jim Scott's interview again.

Jim Scott:
"Everyone was a little younger than me. Being a little older actually worked out to my advantage - I already had life experience. If my job as janitor was to clean the bathroom, I just did it right and then I did the next job they give me right and I got a reputation for doing things right. ?Who should do this job? We need somebody to take this guy to the airport.? ?Ask Jim because Jim will get him there on time.? ?We need somebody to go get five sandwiches. It?s Brooks Arthur and he?s not having a good day, so we need the sandwich to be right when it comes back.?
You make sure if somebody wants pickles, he has pickles. You check the order. You check the cassette when somebody says, ?Make a cassette of the new Rod Stewart record and take it over to Rod Stewart?s house.? You don?t just make a cassette and run up there. You make a cassette and then you listen to it. If the cassette doesn?t sound good you make another. I don?t think it?s hard, but you?ve got to have a pride in it - in anything. Just do a great job and somebody will recognize it and hire you again. If you do a really crummy job they definitely will not hire you again. It?s not just about recording and engineering. It?s about anything, any job."
Larry and Jim,
That's EXACTLY how my internship went. They asked, I did, toilets, hot ass old tape library re-org, tech area, lobby sweep and vac, whatever, I didn't care what they asked, I just did it without complaint or delay, set up roughs, set up mics, arrange wires on the floor, wrap cables properly, no sweat, make dupes, go run this gig, whatever, no prob. Got gigs galore from that internship because I knew what it meant to be the baddest MF in the room, the go to guy, the get it done right dood every single time without fail. I'm STILL that dood.
I know you two are too, because that is exactly what it takes.
Harumph!

Beat Poet
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Beat Poet » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:14 am

I certainly have to agree with Jim's words above, that's the attitude I have.

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

Post by TV Lenny » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:56 am

Many many good points.

Just an update of the gentleman I was originally inspired by to start this thread...

I saw on his FB page he's now offering "Professional Mixing and Producing" amoung his services. I wonder how that works in a dorm room with hacked software. He also doesn't grasp the difference between mixing and mastering, yet claims to offer both.

I guess he'll learn that in school though!

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:33 pm

Wow. Maybe nothing more needs to be said....
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

rogersbarton
audio school graduate

Post by rogersbarton » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:10 am

fossiltooth wrote:
chris harris wrote:
fossiltooth wrote:When else would you have the chance to spend all that time hanging out with young people who are into music, not having a million obligations, and getting to dedicate ample time to your craft (if you're one of the smart ones).
dude... if I could be a full-time student, studying ANYTHING, I'd jump at the opportunity!
Me too! But in the interest of not discouraging kids who don't have that opportunity, I want to repeat that I had to work my way through state college and that was a pretty okay deal too.

Maybe someday, all Americans can get a higher education as a birthright like they do in the rest of the civilized world. Until then, there are still ways to make the most of the situation.
Maybe because you worked hard to pay for your education that's why you appreciate it so much. If it becomes part of their birthright as you call it, would they treasure it so much?

KendricK
pluggin' in mics

Post by KendricK » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:59 am

Brian wrote:
TapeOpLarry wrote:Interns and aspiring engineers: I was just refilling the c-fold towel dispensers (exciting, I know) and remembered how difficult it was for interns to load these properly time after time. So, if you can't properly deal with the routine of loading a low-tech device such as this when do you think you'll be ready for calibrating a tape deck? Seriously. Read Jim Scott's interview again.

Jim Scott:
Larry and Jim,
That's EXACTLY how my internship went. They asked, I did, toilets, hot ass old tape library re-org, tech area, lobby sweep and vac, whatever, I didn't care what they asked, I just did it without complaint or delay, set up roughs, set up mics, arrange wires on the floor, wrap cables properly, no sweat, make dupes, go run this gig, whatever, no prob. Got gigs galore from that internship because I knew what it meant to be the baddest MF in the room, the go to guy, the get it done right dood every single time without fail. I'm STILL that dood.
I know you two are too, because that is exactly what it takes.
Kids today don't want to have their hands down a u bend, they was fast money and instant gratification. I tip my hat off to you for doing what needed to be done to get where you are now.

stylus flanger
alignin' 24-trk

Post by stylus flanger » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:42 pm

1) learn how to solder PROPERLY
2) get an electronics degree (or thereabouts)

if you can wire a studio>>>>>>>>big plus
if you can repair equipment>>>>>blow job from studio owner.

KendricK
pluggin' in mics

Post by KendricK » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:49 am

I went on an evening class in basic electronic repairs a few years ago. I have become quite adept at repairing faulty mics now.

rogersbarton
audio school graduate

Post by rogersbarton » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:32 am

Having even just a basic knowledge of soldering would be very useful in a studio.

KendricK
pluggin' in mics

Re: Intern

Post by KendricK » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:16 am

xpulsar wrote:
TV Lenny wrote:Glad to see this thread is still alive.

There is some good insight here...wish I could figure a way which to show this person the thread but I think they would snub their nose at it! :D
If you think this kid would snub his nose at learning something, then he has "NO CHANCE IN HELL" of being a successful audio engineer. I would not waste another breath on him. There are plenty of positive ,motivated kids in the world who would be much better suited for the job and are ready to learn.

-Collin
Agreed.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:05 am

rogersbarton wrote: Maybe because you worked hard to pay for your education that's why you appreciate it so much. If it becomes part of their birthright as you call it, would they treasure it so much?
Maybe maybe not. I can say this much though:

A man who's been through the desert will appreciate a glass of water more than anyone else, but that doesn't mean I'd support drought as a matter of public policy.

KendricK
pluggin' in mics

Post by KendricK » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:14 am

Great analogy.