Let's talk tube mics

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Let's talk tube mics

Post by vvv » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:46 pm

Aiight, I just got a used MXL 9000 and I've just started using it.

I like the smoothness on vox what is all I've used it for so far (here).

This is, obviously, a inexpensive tube mic.

Anyone wanna talk about their experiences w/ tube mics; any tips, horror stories, etc.?

Anyone use the 9000?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:00 pm

More definition to the question? The Altec 165 system is a tube mic. The Groove Tubes MD-1 is a tube mic. I have each. They're not alike. Nor are they like the Pelusos I've used or that one U47 someone brought to a session once...

I really like the MD-1 for loud aggressive vocals. It can cut and fuzz things up in a very pleasing way. Out in front of accoustic guitar can work well too. It's cool as a single drum overhead for a jazz session.

The 165 is the one of the best snare drum mics I've ever used. Never worry about excess hi-hat bleed again, and that's with a cardioid capsule.

Dudes wasted that U47 in front of their kick, if you ask me...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:36 pm

I have liked the GT mics (now Sterling?) I have heard, and I have read good things on their tube mic(s).

I reckon I'm painting a pretty big picture speaking of "tube mics" just like if I was asking of "LDC's", altho' I'm thinking they are probably more similar in the way large dia. dynamics seem to be.

And I note I always laughed at friends who insist on hanging their Chinese LDC's upside down to look cool - but I've read that tube mics should be due to the heat ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Z-Plane
pushin' record

Post by Z-Plane » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:11 am

The more tubey and expensive you go, the more characteristic your mic response. One session I was doing with a songwriting team and session vocals we hired in the AKG C12, a lovely mic but this particular singer was not sounding great down it. The session ran over and the hire company came to collect the mic and I plugged in the nearest thing to hand, a Rode NT2 and she sounded way better straight away. Definitely the exception, but this sort of thing will happen and expensive tube does not always equal good session.

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:10 am

Z-Plane wrote:... The session ran over and the hire company came to collect the mic and ...
Why do I stare at this sentence fragment and start in to shaking my head, slowly?

I know! It's because it implies a world where people actually think-- everyone, singers, engineers, rental companies-- think that some particular piece of gear is going to be the linchpin. That the pin cannot be linched without it. Wow.

My experience with tube mics is that you get a hyper-kind of realism with the "up close" stuff-- so naturally vocals seem very detailed and compelling, same with flutes, same with anything that makes a sound that's contained and not all that loud. Fingerpicked guitar, hand percussion, spoken word... there's a "generosity" with the tube sound that's just plain inviting and relaxing.

And I would travel to the ends of the Earth for that, seriously I would.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:43 am

vvv wrote:And I note I always laughed at friends who insist on hanging their Chinese LDC's upside down to look cool - but I've read that tube mics should be due to the heat ...
Condenser mics do pick up sound at their head, which includes reflections from nearby surfaces. In certain instances, they do sound different upside-down. While it may still funny that your friends do this because it looks cool, it really does make a difference (sonically) sometimes. Worth giving it a listen.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:46 pm

8)

Sometimes I been known to sing on the "wrong" side of the LDC.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:46 pm

I've use a bunch (Neumann 147, AKG The Tube, AKG Solid Tube (solid shit) ,Groove Tube, Rode NTK) but only ever owned an Apex 460 which I was not a fan of......at all. Also really not a fan of the Rode NTK.
I liked the Neumann and the AKG on vocals. Not a big fan of the Groove Tubes mic but then again it'd been long enough that I don't remember what the model was or what I used it on so take that with a big grain of salt.
My gut feeling is that the good tube mics are something very special (and expensive) and the rest are just another flavour of crappy LCD.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:26 pm

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:I've use a bunch (Neumann 147, AKG The Tube, AKG Solid Tube (solid shit) ,Groove Tube, Rode NTK) but only ever owned an Apex 460 which I was not a fan of......at all. Also really not a fan of the Rode NTK.

My gut feeling is that the good tube mics are something very special (and expensive) and the rest are just another flavour of crappy LCD.
I tried really hard to like my Apex460 (modded by Dave at AA) but something about the sound just bothered me. Same thing with a CAD mic I had. On the other hand some really nice Neumann valve mics I've tracked with were super nice and helped "compress" (control/tame) wild dynamics on my vocals.

If you like the sound of your 9000 and it works for you, that's fantastic. You can't ask for more than that.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

reedblack
pluggin' in mics

Post by reedblack » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:52 pm

I own an Audio-Technica 4060 that always surprises me on different voices. On some it is smooth and silky; on others, it sounds harsh, grating, and overblown. I don't find nearly as much difference in how it pairs with different acoustic guitars (I always know what I'm going to get from it) or pianos.

Takeaway lesson: we're really sensitive to the human voice. Pair wisely.

Producer/Engineer
takin' a dinner break

Post by Producer/Engineer » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:18 pm

One of the things that I love about tube mics is that you can change the character of the mic with a simple tube swap.
You will notice a change in the way that the mic sounds and by going from a stock tube (especially in lower end tube mics) to a NOS type, there will also be a much lower noise floor. (becomes more apparent during quiet passages at high volumes)

I'm now at the point where I can pick out the sound difference (in a blind test) of which wav file was done with a NOS 6072 tube and which file is the one with the RCA or NOS Mullard tube.

Comparing FET types to tube mics, especially on vocals, the tube mic usually renders "warm and creamy."

Comparing to reaching for a warming plugin for a FET type mic, the tube mic usually has that sound built in.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:30 pm

I'll let you know next week, my Advanced Audio CM-47 is supposed to finally be shipping out on Tuesday!
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:07 pm

I've been onna used mic buying spree such that my fave voc mics (AT4040, SM58) has changed to the Senn 421 II, and now includes the MXL9000 tube.

And, of all things, a EV 635a ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:05 am

vvv wrote:And, of all things, a EV 635a ...
I used one for vocals on two EPs for one band, and on backup vocals for an album that wrapped up on Thursday.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:09 am

Somebody, mebbe you?, reco'd it for room drums, but in our room it sounded like shite.

I previously 'sperimented with it on BV's in my bedio, and yesterday used it live when we auditioned a new guitarist. He was good, and the mic sounds great on my voice recorded thru the Zoom R16, altho' there's lotsa bleed (as expected, omni-wise).
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.