New Board = New Setup Questions!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kraigmason
audio school graduate

New Board = New Setup Questions!

Post by kraigmason » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:36 am

I just replaced my Allen & Heath System 8 board (from 1985) with an Allen & Heath GL 2400 32.
I am liking the board quite a bit, but I have a workflow question.
I record bands in a studio situation, not in a live venue.
I track through the board and feed my computer direct outs with each CH.
Right now the factory preset for the board is that each direct out is Pre EQ and Pre Fader.
My previous board was Post EQ Post Fader and i have gotten use to recording that way.
But i don't necessarily want to stick with something just because i am use to it.
I can clearly see why i would want to be pre-fader on the direct outs as this will allow me to adjust the mix in the control room for monitoring w/o adjusting the levels being dropped to tape.
However, i'm not sure i see the advantages of the pre-EQ...i feel like if i'm monitoring EQ changes that i have made on the board I want them dropped to tape.
But maybe i'm missing something or being myopic in my thinking.
I'm looking for any insights/experiences that you may have, and how you like to work.

Thanks a lot!

kraig

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:47 am

Hi,

There should be a jumper inside each channel card, with which you can set the direct out to be post eq, post fader. Check your manual as to how to do it. It took me about 20 minutes to open the board, locate that jumperon each channel, and change it it post eq post fader operation.

I have the GL2800-32, which is the same internally.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

brew
pushin' record

Post by brew » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:10 am

Processing in the monitor path is often to satisfy a producer or artist for how they want to hear something, without committing their wacky ideas to tape for you to repair later. "Need those cymbals boosted 15 dB at 5k?", "Sure!" For cue mixes, an artist might want something to really cut through, though you don't want to record it that way.

If you don't have to satisfy outside producers and you like EQ to tape and don't have artists with these needs, then it's fine to move it.