Occupy Wall Street

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

plurgid
gettin' sounds

Post by plurgid » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:34 am

dwlb wrote:... not threads about politics or Doctor Who or football.
Doctor Who is at least arguably on topic.
I've got all kinds of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey based recording problems to talk about ... LOL

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:09 am

plurgid wrote:
I've got all kinds of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey based recording problems to talk about ... LOL
Especially if we're talking about Delia Derbyshire and the BBC Radiophonic Workshop, then yes, you're right, it is on topic.

I should have said "Twilight." :wink:
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:10 am

RodC wrote:
dwlb wrote:
jkelly222 wrote:Of course there are the social media sites for discussions about this stuff but I was curious how some Tape Op folks may feel (or not feel for that matter).

Also Fossiltooth, there's only a few thousand threads about microphones and junk, I'm sure it wouldn't take long for you to find a place to talk about that stuff. You do in fact, have the freedom to choose what you click on.

Now I feel like dick for assuming something interesting might come from this. I guess there's still hope.
To reply in all seriousness for a moment: the good folks who run TOMB made a decision --a somewhat hotly debated and varyingly popular decision-- to do away with the Off-Topic area of this messageboard a few years ago. Regardless of how we all feel about it (and me, I'm fine with it), the intent of this place is that it be thousands of threads about microphones and junk, not threads about politics or Doctor Who or football.

So I get where you're coming from, and I hope I'm not coming across like a dick. But if you're not getting the conversation you're looking for on this thread, this may be why.

Peace.
Must do it.... Cant resist.... May get banned....

Boobs

whew I feel better...
8)

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

jkelly222
gettin' sounds

Post by jkelly222 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:01 am

Cool

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Post by Jon Nolan » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:19 am

Occupy Wallstreet: while I would be interested to hear the various thoughts and opinions from TOMB peeps on this issue, I'm with Justin. Do we really wanna go there? I have yet to see political discussions on message boards/social media sites go anywhere but in the toilet. Nurture our common interest in all things audio. Save politics for face to face hangouts!

Also, this: Tom Baker was and is the only true Doctor. All the others can suck it.

alcoyot
audio school graduate

Post by alcoyot » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:52 am

Jon Nolan wrote:Occupy Wallstreet: while I would be interested to hear the various thoughts and opinions from TOMB peeps on this issue, I'm with Justin. Do we really wanna go there? I have yet to see political discussions on message boards/social media sites go anywhere but in the toilet. Nurture our common interest in all things audio. Save politics for face to face hangouts!

Also, this: Tom Baker was and is the only true Doctor. All the others can suck it.
Do you think Dr Who is a show worth watching? It always looked cheesy to me. Here's a question, what's a better use/worse waste of time. Watching a whole bunch of Dr Who or going to the Wall St thing?

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:39 pm

Nah, Dr. Who is fantastic. The occasional cheesiness is part of the charm. I've been watching some of the early William Hartnell stories and some of them are quite good.

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:23 pm

dwlb wrote:Nah, Dr. Who is fantastic. The occasional cheesiness is part of the charm. I've been watching some of the early William Hartnell stories and some of them are quite good.
I like the old ones, but the new ones can be cool. Weeping Angels is the best.
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:46 am

plurgid wrote:
Have you seen the latest TORCHWOOD series on Starz?

They are EERILY on target! Seriously, they nailed this before it happened.
Harumph!

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:55 am

Brian wrote:
plurgid wrote:
Have you seen the latest TORCHWOOD series on Starz?

They are EERILY on target! Seriously, they nailed this before it happened.
I'm about halfway through the latest Torchwood season. Good stuff.

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:54 pm

Getting back on topic...I thought it would be fun to write a song "in the style of..." So I decided on protest music, and thought that occupy wall street is a good as any subject.

Behold: Move To Wall Street

I'm not a recording engineer. Hell, I only have headphones for monitors.

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

Post by TV Lenny » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:44 am

From what ramblings I've heard from these people every time they are interviewed or you talk to, I'm surprised anyone can vaguely gather what they are protesting including them. Now with the rise of sexual assaults, rapes, and other criminal activity that is going on in these camps, I think any "cause" that they were supposedly fighting for will be lost.
White Oak Guitars - Fine boutique handmade guitar & bass pickups

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:04 pm

TV Lenny wrote:From what ramblings I've heard from these people every time they are interviewed or you talk to, I'm surprised anyone can vaguely gather what they are protesting including them. Now with the rise of sexual assaults, rapes, and other criminal activity that is going on in these camps, I think any "cause" that they were supposedly fighting for will be lost.
That is a complete load of horse shit, Lenny.
If the banks that make up the FED are willing to pay the NYCPD more than $10 million collectively to brutalize protesters, just to see what the reaction was, they surely wouldn't be above sending in thugs to rape and assault people.
I've seen very clear statements regarding what they want, in video, audio, and writing, and they may not 100% individually all be on the same page, but, the people who have been in there are 100% clear on what they want.
For crying out loud they have a written statement of what they want.
Harumph!

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:21 pm

lyman wrote:Getting back on topic...I thought it would be fun to write a song "in the style of..." So I decided on protest music, and thought that occupy wall street is a good as any subject.

Behold: Move To Wall Street

I'm not a recording engineer. Hell, I only have headphones for monitors.
Too WHITE.
Ever heard of the term white privilege?
Do you even know what the real unemployment rate is in the country?
Where would these cleaned up people look for jobs?
Maybe they should look at your job and offer to do more than you do for less?
What American manufacturing plant should they work at?
Maybe they should all become cops?
Maybe they should all join the military?
Even the soldiers coming back from the war are with them, were do you stand?
How many kings does England have?
How many presidents does the US have, how many mayors, how many governors? Maybe they should all take those jobs?
Right now the government is reporting 29% "real" unemployment (supposedly the number still getting a check PLUS those who's benefits have already run out) but, it's more like 50%.

Before you think your incredibly self righteous idea is actually realistic, if you'd really like to know how they feel, get canned and look for a job, or better for you, don't get canned and do an experiment:
Start really looking for a job in your field, or in the fields of people who are down there and unemployed, send out your best looking resume's, report back.

Not all of the people down there are hippies, and your statement in your song makes me think you've never been down there.
I wen down there to see what the fuss was about and I was educated by elderly, professionals, business owners (mostly), soldiers, college students, and not one hippie. I think you're either paid to comment stuff like that or just completely out of touch with what's happening and willing to make uninformed judgements about people you haven't met, = bigot.
Prove me wrong, bro. I don't even like thinking such thoughts.
Harumph!

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

Post by TV Lenny » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:37 pm

To each their own Brian. This is why I usually/never discuss politics on the tomb. But watch out for those black helicopters.

BTW - U87's over 414's for capturing the helicopters.