Heavy duty boom stands

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:56 am

chris harris wrote:I had one of the heavy duty On Stage stands with the four legs. I liked it. But, the two that I've been using for the last couple of years are like this:

<picture>

These are only $120 at AMS. Great stand.
What brand/model is that, and what is "AMS?"

Thanks.

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:44 am

Bro Shark wrote:
What brand/model is that, and what is "AMS?"

Thanks.
American Muscial Supply

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-MUS-SMS7650-LIST
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

Chris_Avakian
steve albini likes it

Post by Chris_Avakian » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:17 am

i just take the old standard atlas stands, and then unscrew everything off the bottom, pop them into the bigger, older tama cymbal stand base (i got em circa early 2000's) not the roadpro ones, the slightly thicker ones.... works great.. and folds up like a cymbal stand for easy storage ;)

hank alrich
alignin' 24-trk

Post by hank alrich » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:03 pm

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:11 pm

A good stand but I think it's just over his budget.
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:13 pm

I've got the ones Chris Harris posted and they are pretty great for the money. The Latchlake are wonderful, a whole different league.

hank alrich
alignin' 24-trk

Post by hank alrich » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:22 am

When I first saw the Latchlake, at AES some years ago, it had a large AEA ribbon mic, a Great River NP1-NV, and a bowling ball hung from it. You could still do a chinup on it.

It's also out of my own budget. <g>

Great thing is that once it's set to position, it's going to stay there barring some event that wrecks the room, like an earthquake.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:46 pm

hank alrich wrote:When I first saw the Latchlake, at AES some years ago, it had a large AEA ribbon mic, a Great River NP1-NV, and a bowling ball hung from it. You could still do a chinup on it.

It's also out of my own budget. <g>

Great thing is that once it's set to position, it's going to stay there barring some event that wrecks the room, like an earthquake.
I love the latchlake stands. At the price they charge, it actually works out for me to have 3 mics hanging from ONE stand, thats a good deal. 450 for a stand that actually holds the phase relationship INTACT for me that I actually thought about and made happen.... Move a pair of overheads 3 inches and its a different snare drum, thats a fact unless your OH's were like 9 feet out to begin with.
Same with a front kick mic: i always have it on the same stand as the OH's these days with the latch lakes around... I understand that these are not cheap, but they are great.
The on-stage stand that the picture was posted is totally fine for getting mics up above a kit, and as was mentioned: if it is just you and it is not a public facility, then you will like that stand for years and years to come.

llmonty
re-cappin' neve

Post by llmonty » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:18 pm

I have taken a hybrid approach. I have 3 large booms, 2 are the on stage with cast iron bottoms and the other being a quicklok with tripod. I find them all to be very versatile. The quicklock has bettter hardware for the boom. They are very tall and the different bases allow to fit into different spaces.

Then I have 6 Latch Lake xtra booms. I can attach them to these large booms, regular stands, even drum hardware. Great positioning options and stuff stays where it should. For example I have mic'ed drum set ups with 2 booms and a couple extra booms and a small stand for the BD. Or a 2 amp, 4 mic amp set up with 1 regular stand.

The large booms are in the range of $100-200 depending on source/new/used. Xtra booms are I think $80 each.
richmond is a really cool town - supafuzz