Mixer comparison: Mackie 32*8 VS. Ramsa WRS4424

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

detroitdiesel
gimme a little kick & snare

Mixer comparison: Mackie 32*8 VS. Ramsa WRS4424

Post by detroitdiesel » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:56 pm

I've done 400 or so projects with the mackie. It's been fine but...it's a Mackie. The Ford Taurus of mixers.

Found a Ramsa. Anyone ever A-B'd these?
The guy wants $500 for the Ramsa

Am I gonna jump out of my seat?

I certainly did when I mixed through a Sound Workshop series 34.

Opinions welcome.

DD

detroitdiesel

Post by detroitdiesel » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:16 pm

Forgot to mention two things:

1) It is an earlier 32*8 presumably built in Woodinville.

2) I got a Carvin MX2488 on the cheap to replace it but it isn't better..it's worse. No headroom. Kinda cool with the wood sides and all limited, literally.

Studiodawg
takin' a dinner break

Post by Studiodawg » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:19 am

I have one of those American 32*8 Mackie's as well. I suspect it is going to be very difficult to find anyone that has used both. But then again, it's a big world...good luck! If you can afford it, buy it...I'd love to be able to stockpile old mixing boards that are being sold for pennies on the dollar. My prediction is that they will regain value and appeal, but not soon.

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:54 pm

I don't think you will jump out of your seat as with the Sound Workshop, but you'll probably sit up in your chair and smile..I 've heard both and IMHO the Mackie will appear " more hi-fi" as the Ramsa seems "fuller sounding"..Good luck..

detroitdiesel

Post by detroitdiesel » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:34 pm

thanks for the responses. I know many people feel the mackie is small sounding although the routing seemed impressively laid-out for a board of it's size when it came out... It's really the only thing I've mixed through (aside from the soundworkshop, my previous peavey src 2400, my mouse and digital performer, and a few golden moments with a Neve 5106...Yum)

The soundworkshop mixes I did were much more Movie screen sized. The mackie is more 42inch TV size..

I'd like to get more depth and sonic texture.

Due mostly to decreased number of A-D conversions, the in-the -box- mixes I've done recently have given me lower lows and more manageable highs but the computer lacks any sonic character. A totally blank slate. A neat trick would be to get the sound exactly how I want it before I print to the individual tracks but let's face it...It's hard to say how well some tracks will play with others.

Maybe some new pres? I'm running a true systems 8, some ART tube stuff, A focusrite octopre and some DBX 286As. The true systems 8 is sweeeeet.

I'm thinking about getting something blocky and full sounding (but solid state) from a kit. Like something that emulates the expensive stuff from the early eighties.

Of course, the pres in the Ramsa might have a cool flavor too. I could subtly eq stuff right to individual tracks and mix in the box...though it's not where I'm really at my best. I dig an actual board.

Again, Thanks for your comments.

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:21 pm

Yeah, I'm gonna eventually go back OTB ( mixing that is) sometime next year..I'm gonna use the DAW for tracking/editing, but go out into an analog console..( a good one.. :lol: )..I'm gonna do a minimus track count, something like at the most 32..No stems..!.. Just straight out of the 'puter/DA converter setup to individual console channels..Try and get back to better productions/arragements rather than depend on unlimited track count..(unlimited track counts are needed for certain projects I know.. :P .)..My personal needs will never need them ( I hope.. :roll: )..Anyway, good luck with your venture..

Studiodawg
takin' a dinner break

Post by Studiodawg » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:22 am

So, are you gonna get it -and- keep the Mackie?!

KoffeeKommando
gettin' sounds

Post by KoffeeKommando » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:19 pm

I got a Mackie 32*8 with a wierd trade. Was used to Mackies over the years. Plugged in...sounded like Mackie..

Then a week later I got a chance to trade it straight up for a 1988 Yamaha RM2408 console. All I did was test the Yamaha with a mic to make sure the channels worked. Took the leap just for the hell of it.

Brought Yamaha home and hooked it to my rig. Fired up some test music through it. Multitrack and FLAC stuff I had laying around.

No contest. Not even close.

The Mackie had no real "depth" or balls compared to the old Yamaha.

Quality vs. Quantity mah bruthas!

detroitdiesel

Post by detroitdiesel » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:41 pm

I might grab it. My fear is that I will end up with something that is just about the same as what I got. I would like to move my craft to a new level. I have been at this a very long time and have enjoyed working with a few choice mixers. But mostly average ones.

I know, A poor workman blames his tools but... A sweet mixer is a sweet mixer.

The Mackie has been very dependable so I won't let it go (I can always use that with my 24 track tape machine for live recordings)

I would just like to build recordings that sound way more expensive.

Thanks, DD

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:12 pm

Ramsa pre-amps are much better than the Mackie.
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

detroitdiesel

Post by detroitdiesel » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:36 pm

just using for mixing. I use my true systems 8 for preamps. Though this might be mirrored in other parts of the signal path. Good to know.

DD

detroitdiesel

Post by detroitdiesel » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:30 pm

I've decided to pass on the Ramsa. My Mackie is better. 4 band parametric vs. 3.

I don't use the Mackie Pres. Very flexible routing and lots of headroom. I'd love to get a sweet SSL G-series but hey...

Gonna get some sweet pres and continue my experiment in mixing ITB. Though it is new to me.

ITB mix is cleaner. Don't like the stereo picture though. Or I should say, I like it LESS.

DD

Anyone liking a certain channel strip? Pre, eq, compressor.

detroitdiesel

Post by detroitdiesel » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:58 pm

See last post:

Actually looking for a musical compressor. Got the pre and eq.

witchfeet
gettin' sounds

Post by witchfeet » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:19 pm

Maybe you should look for an older Soundcraft of some kind. I was using a Mackie a long while back and now have a Soundcraft Spirit Studio 24x8x2. There is no contest which sounds better. The Soundcraft has TONS of headroom and the EQ is amazing. The routing choices are all you'd ever need. The only way I'll use anything else is if I can ever afford a proper pro console.

Another bonus is the preamps actually sound good so you'd have some more options. It's also moddable/upgradable if you are into that. It's modular in a sense. Each channel, bus, and the master are all on their own PCB so you can pull a channel if you need to. The only problem is you have to take the back off to get the channels out.

The Soundcraft 600 looks amazing but I couldn't find one close enough to where I live when I was console shopping. Delta Deluxes are supposed to be the shizz too.

Just a thought.