My wife bought me a Tascam 388 :)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

WhinyLittleRunt
ass engineer

My wife bought me a Tascam 388 :)

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:46 am

My wife is so cool...

Got it for $450 at a local record store that I've been eyeballing for a while, he just hasn't been able to sell it (probably because it's not quite the right place to be selling one of these anyway). The good news is that it works just fine, and that he had no experience with these, much less checked the auction site for going prices. I need to give it a thorough cleaning even though he said that one if his employees/techs went through it all (he sells used and vintage stereo equipment too).

So yeah, I have an awesome wife. She knew I was getting frustrated with my Tascam 38 and all of its problems and said I really needed to get back into the swing of things with my recording, because we just bought a house a few months ago, and with all the projects I haven't been able to sit down and just jam at the very least. She knew I had been looking for one of these, and told me it was an early Christmas gift :)

Here's where I was a total moron; the owner of the shop was going to throw in a little ProCo DI box with it because he swore that you needed to "boost your signal to get it to record on the tape" :roll: But I told him he was confused with needing phantom power for mics that require it, not line level signals. Anyway as I was finishing testing it out, I noticed he had this dumb little Realistic mixer that I had been looking for to use with my tape delay setup:

So I'm like "can you throw this in too? I needed one of these". And he says "Yeah, instead of the direct box? Sure." I was like noooo... well ok. I probably could have said something, since the DI retails around $50 and the mixer is an obsolete $5 eBay score, but I didn't really need a DI yet anyway, and needed the mixer. So, no loss, no gain.

I can't wait to start messing around with this and recording some analog tracks again!

kinger
steve albini likes it

Post by kinger » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:12 am

Awesome score! Colour me jealous... :wink:

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:35 am

Great gift! Looks like it's in great shape, too!

WhinyLittleRunt
ass engineer

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:11 am

It's in very nice shape. I definitely want to go through it and just make sure all the insides are up to snuff, belt etc... but yeah man, this thing is wicked cool!

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:26 pm

You wife is a keeper.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:50 pm

How did your wife know to buy you that? Did you drop big hints or something? My wife has bought me a few recording things, and even managed to surprise me, but I always basically have to tell her the model number and everything. Everyone says I'm impossible to shop for because I have such specific technical requirements.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

WhinyLittleRunt
ass engineer

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:40 pm

Snarl 12/8 wrote:How did your wife know to buy you that? Did you drop big hints or something? My wife has bought me a few recording things, and even managed to surprise me, but I always basically have to tell her the model number and everything. Everyone says I'm impossible to shop for because I have such specific technical requirements.
Well, it wasn't a surprise... she asked me before we left what that thing was that I wanted at that music store. :) I told her and she said Merry Christmas! Haha - yeah my wife is real cool.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:34 pm

You should totally marry that wife of yours!
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord