SDC tube mics

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

andris
gettin' sounds

SDC tube mics

Post by andris » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:13 am

I've been thinking about getting some vintage tube condensers. I'm looking for a pair that is not crazy expensive, articulate but not harsh. I've been seeing schoeps come up a good amount and have been wondering if any of you have experience with the cm64 or similar models (or maybe the altec 21?)
dryhill studios
oneonta ny

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:40 am

Hey Andris

Well, the only ones I own are a pair of KM254, but I've used Schoeps cm64 and 221s and liked them both a lot. I don't think you could really go wrong with them if you decide to go in that direction.

On a side note I saw at AES that Lucas microphones are doing a KM53 style mic. I already preordered two of them. Those guys are making really good microphones.

themagicmanmdt
george martin

Post by themagicmanmdt » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:29 am

gefell branded m582, mayhaps?

just got a pair in, myself. common NOS tube, and it's an early neumann designed capsule!
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape
valves and serviceability

*chief tech and R&D shaman at shadow hills industries*

andris
gettin' sounds

Post by andris » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:20 pm

Hi guys,
Thanks for the replies! The lucas mics look beautiful (and expensive!) I've seen the m582's, what capsule are you using with them? Are they compatible with the UM gefell capsules?
dryhill studios
oneonta ny

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:26 am

What Schoeps mics are there in the world that are not crazy expensive? Those things are stellar and I've pretty much wanted a pair of 221s since I was in high school, but they're nowehere near inexepensive.

I think there are two versions of the 582s. Some have removeable capsules and some do not. I'm not 100% certain about that, but it would be worth finding out before you buy any.

Some of my favorite small tube mics are the ultra-rare Neumann U64s. Those things are really stellar. KM54s are really nice as well, and one day I will own an SM-2. I've not used an Altec 21B, but they're supposed to be really cool. The Altec 165s and 175s are kind of cool mics, even though they're not terribly "hi fi."

My favorite small tube mic from recent history is the extremely inexpensive Chameleon Labs TS-1, named for its designer, Terry Setter. Terry is an extremely nice and smart guy and really set himself apart from the plethora of people designing inexpensive tube mics (although Terry was one of the first guys in recent years to head down that road) by making smooth-sounding mics with great distance sensitivity. Those mics are definitely tube mics, but they don't really "blow up" very easily unless you want them to. The addition of an adapter to make use of AKG CK-series capsules is absolutely brilliant, as is control on the optional version of the power supply that allows you to vary the voltage and drive the mic's sound differently. The unfortunately short-lived large-diaphragm TS-2 was a really, really brilliant mic, as well.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:32 am

cgarges wrote: The Altec 165s and 175s are kind of cool mics, even though they're not terribly "hi fi."
I don't know that I'd describe them this way, but they do shine more on direct applications like snare drum, rather than as something like OH where you want some distance sensitivity. The 165/175 mics are better up close as far as I'm concerned. Trying not to sabotage the sale of one of my 165's that I'm trying to make happen, but while they're cool mics I wouldn't pick this one for spaced pair stereo work. Better off looking for more usual suspects like KM54's...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:26 am

djimbe wrote:Trying not to sabotage the sale of one of my 165's that I'm trying to make happen, but while they're cool mics I wouldn't pick this one for spaced pair stereo work.
Yeah, I guess "not terribly hi-fi" isn't really the best way to describe them. There's just something about those mics that are brighter or more "crunchy" to me than the other mics I mentioned. Trust me, though-- I've thought about buying your 165! I just have a few other priorities right now.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

andris
gettin' sounds

Post by andris » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:48 pm

I was expecting the ts-1 to come up in this conversation, and since starting this thread I've done some more reading on the mics. The current package includes omni, and cardioid sd capsules, and the ldc as well for $600. Very tempting, the only thing that seems weird is that the resale value seems pretty low.
dryhill studios
oneonta ny

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:10 pm

I can't remember the last time I saw one for sale, used. The price is pretty low to begin with, especially for that quality of microphone. If anyone wants to sell me a few of them at a low resale value, please email me ASAP.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:31 pm

I only have one ts-1, i wish i could have bought the pair that was for sale at the time. I'd love to have another. A great SDC imho.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:51 pm

andris wrote:I was expecting the ts-1 to come up in this conversation, and since starting this thread I've done some more reading on the mics. The current package includes omni, and cardioid sd capsules, and the ldc as well for $600. Very tempting, the only thing that seems weird is that the resale value seems pretty low.
I find it odd the you mention resale value. First off, you rarely see those things for sale used, which says to me that people buy them and keep them because they sound good and a useful tools. Also, since they are current models, you should be able to demo and/or return the mics if they do not fit what you want them to do.

Like Chris said, Terry Sutter designs really nice mics, and is a great guy to boot. I didn't realize they discontinued his tube LDC, it's too bad, that mic is super cool.

andris
gettin' sounds

Post by andris » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:16 pm

Sorry I've just been paranoid about gear investments since money is tight and it seems a lot of gear has not held it's price. I guess I was just surprised to see this last auction
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chameleon-TS-1- ... 35b69fa9a0
and was worried that it was a reflection on the mic. It's good to hear that you all have favorable experiences, I think I'm going to try these out before getting in to vintage sdc land.
dryhill studios
oneonta ny

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:05 am

3 guys I have HUDE respect for use the TS-1: Mitch Easter, MArk Rubel and George Massenberg. Enough said.

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Re: SDC tube mics

Post by tonewoods » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:34 am

andris wrote:(or maybe the altec 21?)
Is that the coke bottle?
Got a couple of those i haven't drug out in a long long time....
Wonderful microphones....

sdelsolray
pluggin' in mics

Re: SDC tube mics

Post by sdelsolray » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:22 pm

andris wrote:I've been thinking about getting some vintage tube condensers. I'm looking for a pair that is not crazy expensive, articulate but not harsh. I've been seeing schoeps come up a good amount and have been wondering if any of you have experience with the cm64 or similar models (or maybe the altec 21?)
You might want to take a look at and a listen to current SD tube mics. The Telefunken M260, Mojave M100 and Peluso P28 are all worthy of audition, to say the least.