SDC tube mics

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

sdelsolray
pluggin' in mics

Re: SDC tube mics

Post by sdelsolray » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:23 pm

andris wrote:I've been thinking about getting some vintage tube condensers. I'm looking for a pair that is not crazy expensive, articulate but not harsh. I've been seeing schoeps come up a good amount and have been wondering if any of you have experience with the cm64 or similar models (or maybe the altec 21?)
You might want to take a look at and a listen to current SD tube mics. The Telefunken M260, Mojave M100 and Peluso P28 are all worthy of audition, to say the least.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: SDC tube mics

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:32 am

andris wrote:I've been thinking about getting some vintage tube condensers. I'm looking for a pair that is not crazy expensive, articulate but not harsh. I've been seeing schoeps come up a good amount and have been wondering if any of you have experience with the cm64 or similar models (or maybe the altec 21?)
If you want "vintage" then you are looking at expensive.

That is how that is.

If I were you, I would look hard at some new ones.

There are a lot of excellent new brands out there.

Otherwise, save your money and take a year to find the right vintage mic for your needs.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Haolemon
audio school graduate

Post by Haolemon » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:06 am

The non vintage stuff can be really expensive as well. My favorite pair of SDC are my Schoeps M222, with the 701 tubes. I bought them some years ago, and if I had not, I couldn't afford them now. But they are transformer less, and might not have the "tube" sound you are looking for.

I too have heard good things about the Cameleon Labs mics, and you can't beat the price...

Good luck