Symetrix 501 versions

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

crunchy
audio school

Symetrix 501 versions

Post by crunchy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:51 pm

What is the difference between the different Symetrix 501 versions? I know the toggle switch version has Valley People VCA for smoother sound but what about the grey rectangle and the round push button models?

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:03 am

I don't know all the differences, but I do know that for a while around here some people thought it was myth.

I have a toggle switch version, it's great. I bought a push button version it was less great. I looked under the hood of each and found there was a difference. The toggle ones are awesome.

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:41 am

Grey's used the dbx 2150 VCA, as found in 160X's. Users can swap it out to the that 2180A. Then it's good.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:41 pm

They are good compressors, regardless.

mechanicalmastering
takin' a dinner break

Post by mechanicalmastering » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:01 pm

Just got a "rectangled-buttoned" 501 so I'm kinda curious as well. Been waiting to grab a 501 for a loooooong time now ;)

mechanicalmastering
takin' a dinner break

Post by mechanicalmastering » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:02 pm

(as per suggestion of Mr. Hamilton himself)

;)

radkins
audio school graduate

Post by radkins » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:45 pm

501's rock on snare drums.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:25 am

mechanicalmastering wrote:(as per suggestion of Mr. Hamilton himself)

;)
Joel Hamilton wrote:I will purposely let up on the limiter section a little just to get the output grinding. the balance between limiter/comp and output crunch is really the game with those. Once you get it setup and limiting, crank the hell out of the output, like all the way up. then use the limiter to adjust how much drive you get from the output, then use the compressor and its attack/release to keep things from getting to washy/pumpy if you need to. A low ratio with a slow attack/release is what I normally use. "blend" just a bit of that into the explosions you are making with the output/limiter section, and get it to sit right in the track that way....

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:09 pm

shedshrine wrote:
mechanicalmastering wrote:(as per suggestion of Mr. Hamilton himself)

;)
Joel Hamilton wrote:I will purposely let up on the limiter section a little just to get the output grinding. the balance between limiter/comp and output crunch is really the game with those. Once you get it setup and limiting, crank the hell out of the output, like all the way up. then use the limiter to adjust how much drive you get from the output, then use the compressor and its attack/release to keep things from getting to washy/pumpy if you need to. A low ratio with a slow attack/release is what I normally use. "blend" just a bit of that into the explosions you are making with the output/limiter section, and get it to sit right in the track that way....
They are great compressors, regardless of the revision. I fully believe that. I never cared which one I had at any given time, because they totally do what they do perfectly. If I liked one on snare, and it happened to have an octagon shaped power switch and orange lettering, i didnt care about the button or the lettering. I know there are revisions, I know there are people who will compare the two, I know there are people who will care about what revision it is: I never did and I have always liked the 501 a LOT. for years.

mechanicalmastering
takin' a dinner break

Post by mechanicalmastering » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:21 pm

Anyone got any more info on this? Were there different xformers or vca's used? Anything like that? Any noticeable differences? I would be hard pressed to use two of these in stereo, (unlinked), of different builds.

GREGL
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by GREGL » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:52 am

I have an early grey unit with a switch and it actually has a Valley People VCA.

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:49 pm

I always thought this toggle switch nonsense was BS since mine all have Valley People VCAs and sound awesome. Like Joel says, just get one love it.
Image Image

Derrick

We have a pool... and a pond. Pond's good for you though.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:40 pm

My toggle switch has the Valley People vca, the pushbutton one did not. I did not like it as much, but that's just my ears.