Versitile Tube Amps That Are Super Clean

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

willhouk
alignin' 24-trk

Post by willhouk » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:50 pm

I played a friend's Marshall Plexi and it seems to me the problem with that amp is getting it to overload. It sounded great clean, he had a THD Hot Plate to get it overdriven which sounded great too. The clean tone was this great sparkly shimmering sort of tone, I loved it.

My 67 Fender Deluxe Reverb 1x12 sounds nice clean at low volumes, around 3-4. At 5 it starts to break up and have a cool over drive sound. The volume at 3 is plenty loud by the way.

Of course a lot of this depends on guitars/how you play as well. But, that's my two cents.
Be well, do good work, and keep in touch.

austingreen
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by austingreen » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:33 pm

I recently acquired a 1969 Traynor YBA-1 Bass Master for a very modest sum, under $500:

http://traynoramps.com/products.asp?typ ... d=394#yba1

I can't say enough good things about this amp. Loudest 45w ever, but full range. It's reputed to be based on the original Bassman circuit but with some Plexi parts put in (the mids and presence circuits maybe?) I like to jump the channels or play just the bass side which is super clean. Takes to pedals real well, sounding great with a Hot Cake, Box of Rock, or a Blackstone Mosfet OD so far. Paired up with a very reasonably priced 2x12 Avatar cab loaded with some standard Celestions. Now considering selling my 1983 50w Marshall JCM800 2204 head.

UnlikeKurt
pushin' record

Post by UnlikeKurt » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:49 pm

+infinity on the ampeg v2 or v4. but early 70s without the distortion circuitry.
both are monster tone machines and take pedal extremely well. i would say they rival a fender twin reverb as far as clean headroom goes. and in tone as well, but a different kind of clean. no "chime" but lots of body.