Tascam 48 / Soundcraft Spirit Folio Hookup Question

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

bennyfreedom
audio school

Tascam 48 / Soundcraft Spirit Folio Hookup Question

Post by bennyfreedom » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:04 am

I have recently aquired a Tascam 48 1/2" 8 track recorder and am trying to hook it up to my Soundcraft Spirit Folio. It seems like it should be pretty straight forward:

8 channel stage snake -> 8 XLR ins on SC.
8 1/4" TRS out of SC "inserts" -> 8 XLR ins on T48. (to get signal to Tascam)
8 XLRs out of T48 -> 8 SC "line in." (for playback)

So here's the problem, when I turn up the gain on the SC past 20db the Tascam freaks out with noise and all of the channels overload. So I can't get a strong enough signal to put anything to tape. I did some research and was wondering if it has something to do with the TRS cables in the SC "inserts." Are they creating a feedback loop? Do I need to "short" them so they don't interrup the signal? And if so, how do I do that?

I have hooked it up just how the diagram in the Soundcraft manual said, so I'm not sure what's going on. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:25 am

Are the inserts plugged "half-in", not all the way in? if they're all the way in that might be the loop right there.

bennyfreedom
audio school

Post by bennyfreedom » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:33 am

I did try the "half-in" but it didn't seem like there was anything catching. Like I was just setting the plug in there, but it didn't seem secure and if I pressed any harder it was all the way in. I was getting a little frustrated at this point so I may try that again this evening and see if I can get better results. If the inserts don't work that way on this board, do I need to modify the TRS tips?

bennyfreedom
audio school

Post by bennyfreedom » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:15 am

I'm not having any luck with plugging the TRS cables half way in.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:24 pm

"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

bennyfreedom
audio school

Post by bennyfreedom » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:30 pm

Thanks. Is there a way to modify the TRS tips so I don't have to buy 8 adapters?

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:20 am

So the Spirit doesn't have direct outs? (too bad if it doesn't)
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

bennyfreedom
audio school

Post by bennyfreedom » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:33 am

It has XLR in, Line in and Inserts.

Dominick Costanzo
pushin' record

Post by Dominick Costanzo » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:45 am

The Tascam output can not go into the line inputs during tracking.
It is feeding back into itself - line input to insert send to Tascam to line input etc. etc.
During tracking, the Tascam output should go to the insert return.
Control your level to tape with the gain control.
Faders are your monitor from the Tascam.
Only during mixing can you route the Tascam to the line inputs.
Dominick Costanzo

bennyfreedom
audio school

Post by bennyfreedom » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:31 am

Thanks Dom. Thats what I was thinking was going on. I'm glad someone finally came out and said it.

bennyfreedom
audio school

Post by bennyfreedom » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:56 am

PS -I'll go back to monitoring through ProTools during tracking.

Thanks for all your help guys!

austingreen
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by austingreen » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:38 am

You might also have mismatched levels. +4 on Soundcraft and -10 on tascam? Your recording levels will nice and hot, then playback might be lower than expected. Or maybe vice versa. That Spirit Folio sounds more like a live sound mixer than designed for recording applications but can be used as described above by not plugging ins and outs at the same time.

Dominick Costanzo
pushin' record

Post by Dominick Costanzo » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:09 pm

austingreen wrote:You might also have mismatched levels. +4 on Soundcraft and -10 on tascam? Your recording levels will nice and hot, then playback might be lower than expected. Or maybe vice versa. That Spirit Folio sounds more like a live sound mixer than designed for recording applications but can be used as described above by not plugging ins and outs at the same time.
More like the other way around.
The Tascam 48 has XLR I/O, most likely with an operating level of +4 dBu (1.23 V RMS, +1.8 dBV).
You haven't specified exactly which "Spirit Folio" you have (there are 6 different variants).
Spirit's documentation (thankfully downloadable, unlike Tascam) avoids mentioning the the insert I/O operating level.
Most mixers at this level usually have insert I/O operating level at -10 dBV (.316 V RMS, -7.8 dBu).
You may need an 8 channel +12 dB gain line amp to be able to drive the inputs of the Tascam 48 to proper levels.
Dominick Costanzo

bennyfreedom
audio school

Post by bennyfreedom » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:30 am

my bad -- it's the Spirit Folio F1. Don't know if that makes a difference. The manual shows that is can be used for multitrack recording by using the "line ins" and the "inserts," but I guess just not at the same time on the same channel. I can split it with 4 chs for input and 4 for monitoring, or just monitor with ProTools during tracking, then switch out the cables for mixing.