Bias Oscillator Repair for TASCAM TSR-8

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

chargilly
audio school

Bias Oscillator Repair for TASCAM TSR-8

Post by chargilly » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:36 pm

Hey All,

I have a TASCAM TSR-8 that has stopped recording on me. I've exhausted all of the usual troubleshooting ideas. It's turned on, inputs connected correctly, tape is loaded properly, etc. I've also ruled out the possibility of bad or sticky/shedding tape.

After discussing the issue with the service manager at TASCAM, I think I've narrowed the problem down to a bad bias oscillator. Does anyone have any input on how to fix this? I've been searching the web and have found several mentions of this being a problem, but no details on how to repair it. Is this a single component I can swap out, or is there a pc board that needs replaced?

Any input would be much appreciated. I'm currently 75% through recording an album and hit a brick wall.

Thanks,

Chargilly
Maintaining my amateur engineer status so I can compete in the Olympics. I only work the respectable day job to support my recording habit.

pointillist
alignin' 24-trk

Post by pointillist » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:33 am

I have the shop manual if you need a copy. I can look through it tonight and see what it says for that part. I've been working on getting mine back into calibration (see other post..). How far do you get in the calibration tests before something seems off?

chargilly
audio school

Post by chargilly » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:13 pm

I have the operation / service manual. Is the shop manual something different?

I haven't actually done a recalibration. I've discussed the situation with several audio / techie guys and they've all confirmed my suspicion that calibration will only get me small adjustments, and since the machine went from recording perfectly to not at all, calibration isn't the answer. Of course, it couldn't hurt to try it.

I think my next step is to try and track down a new oscillator and replace the old one.

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate any input I can get on this.

BTW, I'm really digging the Pointillist tunes. Absolutely lovely instrumentals!
Maintaining my amateur engineer status so I can compete in the Olympics. I only work the respectable day job to support my recording habit.

wkrbee
pushin' record

Post by wkrbee » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:42 am

Verify there is bias at the head with either an O-scope or a meter that will respond to the bias freq.I use a analog VTVM. Contact the Parts Dept at Teac,(Parts @ Teac.com),for the parts you need,or take to a tech that has the proper equipment to diagnose and repair.
Grandpa sez"common sense ain't that common"