Audited! Paying back sales taxes on charged studio time.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

VivaK
studio intern

Audited! Paying back sales taxes on charged studio time.

Post by VivaK » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:20 pm

Hey y'all,
Didn't know where to post this, as there doesn't seem to be an apocalypse forum here, but - if you live a state that charges sales tax you may wanna read this and pass it along.

http://www.thedailyswarm.com/headlines/ ... sales-tax/

This sets up all kinds of scary scenarios for recording studios & I'm not digging MN at all right now. As the pinch turns into a full blown headlock, curious how many other broke-ass states will start looking into this. Nashville? California?

Just a heads up - keep making tasty jams!
cheers - k
Full Disclosure: I probably can't record your band any better than you could w/ a few trial & error shitty records under your belt. Thanks.

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:21 pm

Welcome to my world, Here in WV I was shocked when I started charging for develping software I had to collect sales tax. So, when I started charging for recording, same thing. About the only ppl exempt here are what is considered "Service industries" such as hair dressers, barbors ect.

Beleve me when I learned this back in the '90s I said WTF several times. Most states have the same rules, but they havent been enforcing them.
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:14 pm

Sorta OT but not really, Chicago has been making news for putting up cameras on intersections.

Last night I gotta ticket in the mail for making a right on red without coming to a complete stop in the right turn-only lane (inna suburb).

US$$100. :x
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:15 pm

Pure bullshit. I am so mad/dishearted with the way money is being spent and taken these days.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:52 pm

Is this the same as charging sales tax on labor? Just curious. I started as a freelancer this year not only in audio but in graphic design. I have one huge client on the design side of things that is my bread and butter. If I have to charge them sales tax let me tell you I'll be out of a job. And basically unemployed without the potential for collecting unemployment. So then I foreclose. Just saying. It's the way it goes living paycheck to paycheck.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:00 pm

ipressrecord wrote:Is this the same as charging sales tax on labor? Just curious. I started as a freelancer this year not only in audio but in graphic design. I have one huge client on the design side of things that is my bread and butter. If I have to charge them sales tax let me tell you I'll be out of a job. And basically unemployed without the potential for collecting unemployment. So then I foreclose. Just saying. It's the way it goes living paycheck to paycheck.

Jeff
Pretty much, call your tax office, they will know.
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:23 pm

vvv wrote:Sorta OT but not really, Chicago has been making news for putting up cameras on intersections.

Last night I gotta ticket in the mail for making a right on red without coming to a complete stop in the right turn-only lane (inna suburb).

Don't most decent size cities have these installed now (at least in selected intersections)? I know they have had them at least on the Kansas side of the KC area..not sure if they ticket people but I do see a flash go off from time to time on them when someone runs a red light...I saw one go off once when I followed a yellow that went red before I was across the intersection and wondered if I'd get a ticket...been a few months and nothing. From my understanding each photo that these cameras takes is individually reviewed by a human before submitting a ticket?

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:01 pm

vvv wrote:Sorta OT but not really, Chicago has been making news for putting up cameras on intersections.

Yeah they've been here in the Philly area and everywhere hours around here for years.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:38 am

jgimbel wrote:

Yeah they've been here in the Philly area and everywhere hours around here for years.
Good news for anyone living in the Los Angeles and neighboring towns.

The city is tearing down these cameras, as they cost more to run than in their profit.

1.6 million A MONTH. That is what the AZ company was charging the City of L.A. To run this thing, and when an audit was finally done in 2010, it was found that the system was only bringing in about 150,000 a month. Less than 10%.

Later, cameras...
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:59 am

Albuquerque just voted to remove all of their traffic cameras also. They're supposed to be gone by January.

jhharvest
steve albini likes it

Post by jhharvest » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:18 am

And here I was thinking the point of speed cameras was to deter people from killing each other with speeding but hey ho.

KoffeeKommando
gettin' sounds

Post by KoffeeKommando » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:24 pm

In ABQ (and elsewhere I'm sure), the cameras *caused* accidents. UNM and others studied it.

Redflex cameras are a pure cash grab from the people. Nothing more.
Safety is not the focus. No government scheme ever is.

Spread the word.

VivaK
studio intern

Post by VivaK » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:31 pm

being charged BACK TAXES on previous years of studio time is what freaked me out about this post in MN. Could you stay in biz if this happened to your studio? Or if you don't have your studio registered as a biz w/ proper tax ID number, could they come after your personal assets? The potential evil this props up is not cool.

- forced out of business by freelance tax auditors finding every loophole imaginable to squeeze the last drop.

they're coming for your nut, fellow squirrels.
Full Disclosure: I probably can't record your band any better than you could w/ a few trial & error shitty records under your belt. Thanks.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:03 pm

jhharvest wrote:And here I was thinking the point of speed cameras was to deter people from killing each other with speeding but hey ho.
Nope.

It just takes a picture of the sacred event.

And then issues a ticket.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:05 pm

jhharvest wrote:And here I was thinking the point of speed cameras was to deter people from killing each other with speeding but hey ho.
I stopped believing that sort of thing after a couple of Indiana State Troopers tailed me all the way from the Illinois border to right before the Michigan border, so they could write me up for as many violations as they could.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/