yamaha mt8x problem/question

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

rmartel700
audio school

yamaha mt8x problem/question

Post by rmartel700 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:03 pm

i came into a good deal on a used yamaha mt8x cassette recorder recently. as a lot of the drone-style musics i make are deliberately lo-fi, i have really been into the character of its sound!

problem is that after maybe 2 months of semi-regular use, it started making a high pitched squealing sound when it plays back/records.. and afterwards i notice that upon playback, the pitch and speed are slightly lower and slower, respectively, than when they were recorded.. guh. it isn't a vari-setting issue with a playback, since i already troubleshot with it a bit.

do any of you guys think this sort of thing might be fixable?? or is the motor fried/wearing out..?

rick

KoffeeKommando
gettin' sounds

Post by KoffeeKommando » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:20 pm

Slipping belt? If it's a belt drive transport.

Are you using the same tape when squeal occurs?
Or does it squeal with any tape inserted.
Is there a physical squeal coming from the cassette itself?

Found this info also:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1994_ar ... amt8x.html
"The tape transport is essentially a two-motor system augmented by a further motor to physically move the head assembly towards the tape. One motor runs the capstan and one runs the takeup reels; unlike Tascam's arguably more advanced transport, Yamaha rely on the cassette's own pressure pad to maintain adequate tape-to-head contact. The tape is prevented from wandering over the head by a couple of guide pins which form part of the head assembly."