Gibson Les Paul Studio Guitars

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mechanicalmastering
takin' a dinner break

Gibson Les Paul Studio Guitars

Post by mechanicalmastering » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:27 pm

About to pick this up. Taking the amp out of the equation, do you guys ever have trouble getting usable, solid sounds from these? Can't go wrong with a real Les Paul, right? Would a pick-up replacement be worth considering?

Rawk!
Last edited by mechanicalmastering on Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

radkins
audio school graduate

Post by radkins » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:00 pm

My go to guitar is a Standard. Very versatile in the recording studio.
Last edited by radkins on Tue May 21, 2013 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:08 pm

That one seems to have aftermarket pickups. Try and figure out what year it is. But most important I guess is what condition it's in, and how it feels/sounds when you play it. You can go with your gut on that.

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:36 pm

I owned a Studio and a Standard for a few years. When I decided I had too many guitars, I got rid of the Standard. My Studio still has a better vibe than any other guitar I've owned. Also, I think the Studio is slightly more playable for me because the neck binding on the Standard slows me down or distracts me or something. Not sure how to describe it. You can definitely get great sounds out of a studio in all pickup positions. I still have the stock pickups in mine and I'm sure with a pickup upgrade it would be even better. The main point is that it's a solid, great sounding piece of wood.

mechanicalmastering
takin' a dinner break

Post by mechanicalmastering » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:56 am

Try and figure out what year it is. But most important I guess is what condition it's in, and how it feels/sounds when you play it
It's a 2009, it's in nearly perfect condition, and it plays and sounds amazing.
$450, I figure that can't go wrong either way.
I'm sure with a pickup upgrade it would be even better
I wonder what a good upgrade would be. Something versatile, not so much on the jazzy or metal side. Hmmm.

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:00 am

I've got a 74 Les Paul Signature, Tobbacco Sunburst, (only 85 of those made) http://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-les-pa ... 74-gold-to Identical to that but for the finnish, I wouldn't change a thing. These are great guitars, and are part of the recording series. They have both an amp and a board level output, no outboard di required.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:35 am

$450 for a LP studio? And you've played it and like it?

No question...buy that puppy.

As far as replacement pup's go, I like Alnico over ceramic FWIW. Gibson 498's are mostly alnico V. Quality.

You might also consider Bill Lawrence's humbucker replacements. They're some of the very best pickups made and really allow you to hear what your guitar is all about. They call him the Emperor of Impedance for good reason.

On the used side, any pickups you can score on ebay from late 70's/early 80's from Matsumoku guitars MIJ (Vantage/Aria/Westone) are fantastic Gibson pickups with major balls and quality alnico V mag's. The guitars themselves are actually pretty sweet sounding but you've gotta make sure the pup's haven't been replaced.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

0xeneye
pushin' record

Post by 0xeneye » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:22 pm

On the used side, any pickups you can score on ebay from late 70's/early 80's from Matsumoku guitars MIJ (Vantage/Aria/Westone) are fantastic Gibson pickups with major balls and quality alnico V mag's.
My favorite pickup in the world is precisely that - a 70's Aria humbucker.
0x

ashcat_lt
tinnitus

Post by ashcat_lt » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:30 am

My LP Studio is from 97. Pickups replaced with SD 57s and it sounds pretty great. Recently replaced saddles and nut with graphite and string gauge up to 12 and it sounds even better. Sustain for weeks. Nice growl on the neck, big bite at the bridge, and even a bit of jangle in the middle.

I've also rewired it to Master Volume with no Tone, which makes a difference in the treble response. Then there's the series combination of the two HBs, which just crushes the input of whatever it's plugged into!

mechanicalmastering
takin' a dinner break

Post by mechanicalmastering » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:09 pm

ThanX for all the feedback guys, I'll have you all know that I most definitely pick this fine lady up, we've been getting aquanted all week, and I may to ask her to have my baby.

Wow, what an awesome instrument. I've grown up on cheap guitars, food stamps and cockroaches, and I never thought I'd ever own such a nice piece of gear to express myself with. Going from many el-cheapo guitars to a real Les Paul must be the equivalent of making the leap from a Hyndai to a Ferrari, and now I can never look back. Ever. Awesome.

Killer pickup suggestions guys, those Matsumoku pickups sound like a fantastic upgrade, I'm all over it.

Awesome.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:26 am

Life is such a beautiful thing, right?

Congrats MM, You Win :wink:
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

christiannokes
steve albini likes it

Post by christiannokes » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:18 am

Ooooh I just went in to Guitar Center and played a Studio and loved it- except that the body was like a matte finish instead of glossy. I like how my hand moves on a glossy body I guess. The sound was incredible though.

soundmasterg
alignin' 24-trk

Post by soundmasterg » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:57 am

I have a 1993 LP Studio. Its a pretty good guitar but the Epiphone Elites are better and more resonant. I would like to upgrade to a nicer LP at some point, when I get the money. Though for $450 you can't go wrong.

The biggest difference in the sound will be from changing pickups, but a close second will be changing to 50's wiring. I did that to mine, and stuck a set of Dave Stephens's VL PAF clone humbuckers in it. You pay a lot for them but they are guaranteed for life no matter who owns them and they really do sound like a PAF. Of course not everyone wants the PAF sound though. The more modern sounding pickups like most Duncans and Dimarzios sound good for those approaches. Also Lollars and Wolfetones are very good.

Check out the Stephens Design on his site and you tube.

www.sdpickups.com

Greg

mechanicalmastering
takin' a dinner break

Post by mechanicalmastering » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:36 am

Thanx for all the awesome posts guys, seriously.

For pickups, I'm looking for something pretty HiFi, (I don't wanna say,,, modern?), sounding that can be pretty chunky without being raw. Something with a high output that's capable of a little cleanliness & sparkle without playing it too safe. No need for jazz or rounded-sounding pickups, something you could play Pop-Metal or Swing-Metal or Glittery-Hardcore-Rockabilly if such things existed. I'm looking for a set of humbuckers capable of pulling lots of clean information I suppose.

I got this sound in my head. You know how that goes, right?