AT Pro37r vs. "Alice" by Scott Helmke

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mechanicalmastering
takin' a dinner break

AT Pro37r vs. "Alice" by Scott Helmke

Post by mechanicalmastering » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:24 pm

For the price it's probably worth just having both, but for some reason I'm still trying to decide between the two. Don't necessarily need them OH's, but rather, for general applications from various sources that would require a stereo field, (i.e. Room Sounds, Symphonic Sounds, Nature, Natural Reverbs Generated From Theaters/Auditoriums/Cathederals, Piano-type sources, etc.). I'm not necessarily looking for transparency, but I am looking for detail. Maybe a just little color that's musical and stackable without being too obvious.

Thoughts?

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Re: AT Pro37r vs. "Alice" by Scott Helmke

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:19 pm

mechanicalmastering wrote:For the price it's probably worth just having both, but for some reason I'm still trying to decide between the two. Don't necessarily need them OH's, but rather, for general applications from various sources that would require a stereo field, (i.e. Room Sounds, Symphonic Sounds, Nature, Natural Reverbs Generated From Theaters/Auditoriums/Cathederals, Piano-type sources, etc.). I'm not necessarily looking for transparency, but I am looking for detail. Maybe a just little color that's musical and stackable without being too obvious.

Thoughts?
The "alice" is a handmade piece of art that you will always be proud to pull out of the cabinet, and the ATpro37 is just a low priced microphone that is faceless and mass produced to meet a ridiculous price point and be sold through giganto-uber-massive chain stores that amount to being essentially wal-mart type of price driven corporate bullshit.... (though I like AT as a company)

It seems obvious to me which one to get. I have the" brazil "mic, and even with a zillion other choices, I know I can count on it to do its job really well, and look cool doing it, and have an overall aesthetic that is a joy to interact with.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:46 pm

I've really enjoyed the crap out of my Alice. Absolutely rocks in from of a guitar cab, is capable of splashing color and crazy life to stringed instruments and AC guitars. You can sing into it and use it for percussion stuff. Haven't found anything like it that can produce the same kind of freakishly insane mids. A PR30 comes close, that's as good as I can do for giving you a mainstream reference. But Joel's right, the Alice is a work of American homegrown art by a very cool guy. It's quality as well with a uniquely hand-born finish.

A Pro37 is a quality mic for sure, I love AT mics and don't know what I'd do without my 4033 to be honest. Much love for the 4041 too. The 4041 is the most impressive bright mic I've used that's hella bright without being harsh or brittle, and talk about being fast fast fast at handling transient detail when it's amp'd properly. A ZED14 for instance rocks that mic very well. Something about those pre's and how they power the 4041.

But get an Alice and you get a very unique sound, not to mention a very cool showpiece you're proud of owning.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

mechanicalmastering
takin' a dinner break

Post by mechanicalmastering » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:59 pm

,,, the ATpro37 is just a low priced microphone that is faceless and mass produced to meet a ridiculous price point and be sold through giganto-uber-massive chain stores that amount to being essentially wal-mart type of price driven corporate bullshit.... (though I like AT as a company)
I KNEW it! Thanks Joel, awesome.

Hey Kenny, while doing research about tube mics, I stumbed across THIS awesome this description of the Alice that you gave:
KennyLusk: "I have Scott Helmke's (Scodiddly) Alice mic which is a very exciting mic IMO. The mids are incredibly aggressive and the mic has a super-solid capture. Very tight in the low end and solid high's without being hyped."

Also very awesome. I was doing to post it before I realized that it was YOU who chimed in!

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:18 pm

mechanicalmastering wrote:
,,, the ATpro37 is just a low priced microphone that is faceless and mass produced to meet a ridiculous price point and be sold through giganto-uber-massive chain stores that amount to being essentially wal-mart type of price driven corporate bullshit.... (though I like AT as a company)
I KNEW it! Thanks Joel, awesome.

Hey Kenny, while doing research about tube mics, I stumbed across THIS awesome this description of the Alice that you gave:
KennyLusk: "I have Scott Helmke's (Scodiddly) Alice mic which is a very exciting mic IMO. The mids are incredibly aggressive and the mic has a super-solid capture. Very tight in the low end and solid high's without being hyped."

Also very awesome. I was doing to post it before I realized that it was YOU who chimed in!
True, true. And I'm just as charmed by it today as I was then.

As a matter of fact it's setup in front of my Vox Cambridge Twin right now. I've been tracking with it recently on that amp. Perfect tone, spot on capture.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

mechanicalmastering
takin' a dinner break

Post by mechanicalmastering » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:46 pm

Can't believe they'll even TRACK gtr amps, I mean, I don't think I've ever encountered an SDC that I'd trust with that task, which is a drag because I WANT all that awesome detail! Now I'm actually excited.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:02 pm

The Alice is unique and I'm sure very cool. I've honestly not used one, but do Scott's reputation.

That said, pro37s are incredibly useful and cool mics.

llmonty
re-cappin' neve

Post by llmonty » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:40 am

Kenny - I, like you, am a huge fan of the Alices. I have 2 and while i really dig them on all the things you mentioned, and are often the first choice for those, I didn't have luck with them on guitar cabs. Need to try them out again - how far back / where did you place them?

Thanks!
richmond is a really cool town - supafuzz

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:49 am

KennyLusk wrote:Much love for the 4041 too. The 4041 is the most impressive bright mic I've used that's hella bright without being harsh or brittle, and talk about being fast fast fast at handling transient detail when it's amp'd properly.
here here!!!! at4041 is a killer mic. i wish i had an alice too!

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:57 pm

llmonty wrote:Kenny - I, like you, am a huge fan of the Alices. I have 2 and while i really dig them on all the things you mentioned, and are often the first choice for those, I didn't have luck with them on guitar cabs. Need to try them out again - how far back / where did you place them?

Thanks!
I get the best tones for what I want 12"-14" from the speaker, aimed directly at the cone but off center.

mechanicalmastering
takin' a dinner break

Post by mechanicalmastering » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:20 pm

I just noticed that Scott is selling his awesome mics for $250USD each, didn't they used to be a good bit cheaper than that?

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:16 pm

Not at all. In '05[?] I'm pretty sure I paid $235 or $250. It wasn't cheap.

But if I'm not mistaken he had just come back from Europe with a grip of tranny's just for the Alice and the other mics he was developing at that time.

I forget where he was getting the capsules from. Nothing special, but very solid and appropriately spec'd for the Alice design.

llmonty
re-cappin' neve

Post by llmonty » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:52 am

Thanks Kenny! Will try it.

And agree the price is consistent with what i paid and well worth it.
richmond is a really cool town - supafuzz

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:01 pm

I won't cast any opinions on either mic, other than I build the Alice mics because I like them!

Right now I'm out of stock, but starting another batch. In probably a couple months I'll them for sale again. And yes, the price $250. The very first ones were sold somewhat cheaper, because there was no history and nobody really knew who I was. I think at $250 they're still a bargain, though.

mechanicalmastering
takin' a dinner break

Post by mechanicalmastering » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:30 pm

Awesome Scott! What if I wanted to maybe purchase one with a slightly higher-grade diaphram, is there one that you would might recommend? Would that be kosher? Would I loose some of the "magic" by doing that? I want a pair of Alices!