Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

norton
buyin' a studio

Finally a "new" idea in guitar amps.

Post by norton » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:08 pm

Anybody else see this amp?
http://www.palmer-germany.com/192-1-drei.html

Palmer Drei.... as in 3. Three single ended parallel power tubes fed by a common preamp.

Great in depth review in the new SOS magazine, and a few clips on the Palmer website.

The concept is really attractive, three different power tubes that you can blend as you see fit.

KoffeeKommando
gettin' sounds

Post by KoffeeKommando » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:44 pm

Here is another one from 2008. But it's more like a 3 "output" amp:
http://www.mahaffayamps.com/aw99.htm

"With the new Mahaffay AW99 Triple Output guitar amplifier, Songworks Systems is looking to put a new spin on things.

What we have here are three separate independent power amp output stages, with a volume control for each, and 3 line level effects loops too. Each output is rated at 33 watts. A user can run three cabinets or varying sets like 2 x 12s, 2 x 10s or any combination set of speakers powered up all off the same amp. Left and right cabs, stereo, and center dry - anything goes.

Here's some specs:

One Ecc82 tube - hand-wired
One Ecc83 tube - hand-wired
No power tubes to ever replace or bias
Rated at 33 watts x 3
Clean, dependable quasi solid-state power amp (4-16 ohms)
Three effect loops for line level effects
Size: 26 x 10 x 9inches
Super lightweight at only 20lbs."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk9Yl9n ... re=related
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNzdAy8 ... ideo_title

It looks pretty damn cool. I might get the single amp version of this..the Mahaffay HiLo Plexi.

How much is the Palmer Drei?

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:24 am

SOS says US$1400.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:55 am

I think street is $850 -$899.

Is that mahaffay amp a solid state output?

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:47 am

Transistor guitar amps were made in the 1960's. Gibson and Fender made them. Gibson's GSS-100 came out in 1965.

Seymour Duncan made the "convertible" tube amp in the 1980's, you could pull and switch preamp tubes, designs, tone stacks, etc.

I suppose if you're young, everything is new.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

KoffeeKommando
gettin' sounds

Post by KoffeeKommando » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:31 am

Well sure, this stuff comes and goes.

I've got a CMI/SG Systems Series 3 at a friends house 2000 miles away.
Need to get it fixed and moved here. It's a hybrid SS preamp and tube power section:
http://craigslistvintageguitarhunt.blog ... e-amp.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsY7dqe7l7g

It's a blaster. Incredibly loud and powerful. Dead quiet too.
But too much for everyday use and taking it places.

The Mahaffay is tube preamp but with some kind of hybrid power section.
His smallest amp is all tube with 1/4 watt output. All the other models are identical and take that 1/4 watt then boost it in some final stage.
The AW99 is 3 of his amps in one head with common tone knob but 3 separate volume knobs and outputs.

His HiLo Plexi is $450 I think. I might get one. It's all made by one guy in the US. Gotta support that.

Though I think that Palmer Drei is badass. I emailed a dealer to see if they can get them in the US (price etc.etc.)

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:25 pm

I dunno... I've never seen an amp with three blend-able power sections in it.

I remember the Duncan amps... they were kind of cool... a precursor to the every bell and whistle game.

The Palmer Drei works for me, at least conceptually, because it's so simple. No semantic arguments about it's operating class... no 1/2 power switch, no triode/pentode switch.

If it's what they say it is... then it's just a simple path to the power tubes, and I like that.

KoffeeKommando
gettin' sounds

Post by KoffeeKommando » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:12 pm

The Palmer is def. worth looking into.

The AW99 is setup so you can run 3 diff cabs with various effects or dry as it has 3 effects loops. You can do the Eddie V thing all with a single amp.
Something like this with just a single head. 2 stereo cabs and a dry cab. Same tone just sent to diff. effects and cabs simultaneously.

frans_13
takin' a dinner break

Post by frans_13 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:16 am

I had a talk with the Palmer guys and I can demo the "Drei" in a shop half an hour drive from here... but based on my experience with Palmer gear (DI boxes, signal splitters, etc.etc.) I think I'll have to buy another amp. I asked the Palmer engineer if he knew something about the secret behind the "boot-in-your-face" Hiwatt DR sounds and he was talking half an hour about the output transformer and that most companies get cheap on that and on and on and on...

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:38 pm

frans_13 wrote:I had a talk with the Palmer guys and I can demo the "Drei" in a shop half an hour drive from here... but based on my experience with Palmer gear (DI boxes, signal splitters, etc.etc.) I think I'll have to buy another amp. I asked the Palmer engineer if he knew something about the secret behind the "boot-in-your-face" Hiwatt DR sounds and he was talking half an hour about the output transformer and that most companies get cheap on that and on and on and on...
On the other hand, I've heard over and over (last time was in a TO, "Behind the Gear") that a good tranny match is hard to achieve AND critically important to the sound of tube gear.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:35 am

True, very true. Xfmrs play a huge role in guitar tone. The guys at trinity amps have hiwatt cloned (in and output) xfmrs that they sell with their kits.

They completely nail the hiwatt experience. They do sell them separate as well.

The Palmer drei is an amp I'd like to build. but I imagine that the xfmrs would be impossible to source outside of Palmer.

CedarSound
pushin' record

Post by CedarSound » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:12 pm

I'm not sure if this was a totally new idea or not, but it was to me.
I picked this amp up a few months ago, and am loving it...

http://chromedomeaudio.com/tone_philosopher_40

barnone
audio school

Post by barnone » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:56 pm

I have a Palmer DREI. It's quite stunning. I've posted first impressions over on the Gear Page forum and also submitted a review to Harmony Central in which it got 10's across the board.

That said it's 10's for the appropriate player and purpose.

If you like the Class-A amp tone.
It's magic for studio use

If you read the review in Sound on Sound and also look at my impressions and the youtube videos you will get some idea.

I really love TapeOp and this amp is amazing in the studio. Of course if you are looking for cookie cutter or copying others tones this is not what it is made for. If you are a guitarist looking for amazing original tone and want to mostly play at lower volumes or in the studio and have some notion of what playing a class-A amp can bring, this amp is incredible.

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:13 am

Where did you find the amp?

barnone
audio school

Post by barnone » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:11 pm

Hi norton.

I ordered it from Bo at http://wildwestguitars.com/

I actually contacted Palmer directly and they had these guys contact me. I had the amp in a couple of weeks. Great service.

Although if you want to actually try one first, probably not going to happen.