Attended vs. Unattended sessions. Different Rate?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Attended vs. Unattended sessions. Different Rate?

Post by Ryan Silva » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:31 am

Whilst mixing do you find Unattended sessions are a way to save you're clients money and your self time? Is it ever worth it to lower you're rate to work alone?

Thanks
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:49 am

I only offer flat rates for unattended sessions. All attended sessions are billed at my standard hourly or day rates.

For unattended stuff, I can work on my own time, without distractions. So, I offer this a little cheaper, with per song rates.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:34 pm

I do a good bit of mixing with no one there, but still charge my hourly rate.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Attended vs. Unattended sessions. Different Rate?

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:44 am

Ryan Silva wrote:Whilst mixing do you find Unattended sessions are a way to save you're clients money and your self time? Is it ever worth it to lower you're rate to work alone?

Thanks
Mostly, yes. But I charge the same whether attended or not.

I do like having the artist attend, at least at some point, as it helps to be listening through the same speakers in the same room, and is a quicker way to get on the same page, as far as what sounds like what, what terminology the artist likes to use when describing their musical ideas, etc.

But attending behind me while I mix, while distracting me? I just press the stop button until the interruptions stop. Usually after two or three times of stopping the flow, the artist gets the idea.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

drumsound
zen recordist

Re: Attended vs. Unattended sessions. Different Rate?

Post by drumsound » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:52 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:
Ryan Silva wrote:Whilst mixing do you find Unattended sessions are a way to save you're clients money and your self time? Is it ever worth it to lower you're rate to work alone?

Thanks
Mostly, yes. But I charge the same whether attended or not.

I do like having the artist attend, at least at some point, as it helps to be listening through the same speakers in the same room, and is a quicker way to get on the same page, as far as what sounds like what, what terminology the artist likes to use when describing their musical ideas, etc.

But attending behind me while I mix, while distracting me? I just press the stop button until the interruptions stop. Usually after two or three times of stopping the flow, the artist gets the idea.

Cheers
That's a funny of making a point.

I also like bringing in the artist at a late stage of the mix. I usually explain this to them, and tell them it allows me to work more efficiently. I get it really close, make a couple tweaks and finish.

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:01 am

I do a lot of mixing projects from people on the other side of the world, so it isn't much of an issue. If I'm mixing a band that I've recorded, they will pay the hourly rate. This is actually cheaper since I generally have the mix at least 75% dialed in by the time I'm done tracking.

However, when I'm doing something for a local group, I will charge my normal mixing rates for unattended sessions and my hourly studio rate for attended sessions.

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:48 pm

The phrase "breathing down your neck" is a useful way to put all this in perspective.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

aaron mcdonald
audio school

Post by aaron mcdonald » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:58 pm

my dad was an auto-mechanic.. he used to say "$20 an hour, $30 if you watch, $40 if you help."
'ay, that 'e was.

Z-Plane
pushin' record

Post by Z-Plane » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:47 pm

aaron mcdonald wrote:my dad was an auto-mechanic.. he used to say "$20 an hour, $30 if you watch, $40 if you help."
+1

More like +10!

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:52 am

So I worked out a flat rate for this LP that I am mixing unattended. I send them a mix, and they must provide feedback within 48hrs. I got my first list of changes and it was two pages long! On one song! :shock:

Most of the changes are reasonable, but I am afraid that every mix will also have pages of changes. Then I make the changes, mix and send back, to most likely get another set of changes.

I think they are going to have to attend these mixes, this could get ridiculous.

I mean what do you do when they ask for the lead guitar to be more on the ceiling and less on the floor? I can take a guess as to what that means, but it's just a guess.
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:47 pm

When I work out a flat-rate mixing arrangement, I make it clear that this type of arrangement requires that they trust my judgement and that it's not the kind of situation that conducive to tinkering or endless tweaks.

Just tell them that if they have this many specific things that they want out of a mix, that unattended sessions won't work for their project. And, tell them that that kind of tweaking takes place in paid, HOURLY sessions.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:03 pm

Out of curiosity, and not to get too crazy and derail this thread, but what is mixing going for an hour these days, attended? I keep hearing that my rates are too low.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:55 pm

I recently published my rates on my website. The rates aren't exactly firm. It's intended to give clients a starting point for realistic budgeting.

hank alrich
alignin' 24-trk

Post by hank alrich » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:48 pm

Ryan Silva wrote:I mean what do you do when they ask for the lead guitar to be more on the ceiling and less on the floor?
You tell 'em that if they wanted to hear it that way they should've played it that way. <g>

Next time have 'em put that amp up on a ladder.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:34 am

Ryan Silva wrote:I mean what do you do when they ask for the lead guitar to be more on the ceiling and less on the floor?
Cut 300Hz and below, Boost 2khz and above? Musicians will talk colorfully like that pretty often. I've found it's been more productive to try to imagine (or ask) what they mean. More fun, too.