Protools 10 and iLoks

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

wedge
tinnitus

Protools 10 and iLoks

Post by wedge » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:21 pm

I'm half of a production team. We each have our own Protools rigs in our respective apartments, and wish to upgrade to Protools 10. What we would *like* to do is buy one copy of the software, and have our own iLoks to boot said software. Is this possible, or does 10 require one and only iLok per instance of software? In other words, are we forced to buy our own copies of 10? Financially strapped producers would like to know...

vxboogie
pushin' record

Re: Protools 10 and iLoks

Post by vxboogie » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:39 am

wedge wrote:I'm half of a production team. We each have our own Protools rigs in our respective apartments, and wish to upgrade to Protools 10. What we would *like* to do is buy one copy of the software, and have our own iLoks to boot said software. Is this possible, or does 10 require one and only iLok per instance of software? In other words, are we forced to buy our own copies of 10? Financially strapped producers would like to know...
2 iLoks = 2 licenses
Mark - Listen, turn knob, repeat as necessary...

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:05 am

Yes, you'll both need to buy the software if you both want to use the software.

Try this the next time you're dining with your production partner:

"We're both going to be ordering entrees. But, we're a 'production team', so we'd prefer to only pay for one."

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:25 am

Think of it this way: The software is free, the license on the iLoc is what costs $600.

What you could do is load ProTools onto both of your computers and pass the iLoc back and forth. Of course, you would be sticking a $600 thumb drive in your pocket and walking around with it all the time, which is probably a stupid thing to do...

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:50 am

farview wrote:Think of it this way: The software is free, the license on the iLoc is what costs $600.

What you could do is load ProTools onto both of your computers and pass the iLoc back and forth. Of course, you would be sticking a $600 thumb drive in your pocket and walking around with it all the time, which is probably a stupid thing to do...
Actually, that's exactly what iLoks were designed for. I take mine with me all the time. And, I don't worry any more about losing or breaking it than I do about losing or breaking a microphone or something else I might take to a session.