Why would a cd sound distorted on only some cd players?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Why would a cd sound distorted on only some cd players?

Post by dfuruta » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:03 pm

Some years ago I received a copy of a Yo-Yo Ma cd as a gift. At the time, I didn't listen to it. Yesterday, while digging through some boxes, it turned up again. Upon popping it in the computer and pressing play, here's what I got: http://soundcloud.com/dfuruta/10-chiran-bushi. Turn down your volume before you press play! This is super loud.

I think it sounds gorgeous, like a collaboration with Merzbow. But, clearly, this isn't what CBS intended to release. I tried playing it in another computer, and it sounds the same; super fried. However, when I tried playing it in a cheap boombox, it sounded normal (no distortion, normal level, normal sound).

What could be causing this? I haven't experienced problems playing any other cd in either computer I tried, and the sound is consistent each time. For this specific cd, Japanese Melodies (1984), I found one person complaining on amazon that their copy was just noise. No one else seems to have mentioned this problem, though. Could it be some weird sort of data-rot?

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:50 pm

I can't tell you the problem but I do like the way it sounds! I'm wanna start making distorted versions of some classical albums I have.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:36 pm

likewise i have no idea what's causing this but it sounds awesome.

it's really weird that it sounds normal on some players and not others. like, really really weird. i would think it'd either work or not work. but it sounds like it's really bit-reduced, like you're only getting about 4 bits worth. dunno how that could be.

the sound of this is kind of right up your alley furuta. :D

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:22 pm

Cool. I remember that show. Iron Butterfly, 1969.

But seriously, folks, that's odd... I've had lots of problems with computers and older CD's, but I almost always get the futzzzing/clipping/digital distortion thing. Weird, because the most robust CD players do seem to be any Discman-type player or boombox; the higher-end models and computer drives are very, very picky. But I've never heard the Acid Fuzz-tone Psychadelic Freakout thing before; kind of neat.

Is there anyone on-board that's been mastering CD's since 1982?

GJ

Andy Peters
re-cappin' neve

Re: Why would a cd sound distorted on only some cd players?

Post by Andy Peters » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:35 pm

dfuruta wrote:Some years ago I received a copy of a Yo-Yo Ma cd as a gift. At the time, I didn't listen to it. Yesterday, while digging through some boxes, it turned up again. Upon popping it in the computer and pressing play, here's what I got: http://soundcloud.com/dfuruta/10-chiran-bushi. Turn down your volume before you press play! This is super loud.

I think it sounds gorgeous, like a collaboration with Merzbow. But, clearly, this isn't what CBS intended to release. I tried playing it in another computer, and it sounds the same; super fried. However, when I tried playing it in a cheap boombox, it sounded normal (no distortion, normal level, normal sound).

What could be causing this? I haven't experienced problems playing any other cd in either computer I tried, and the sound is consistent each time. For this specific cd, Japanese Melodies (1984), I found one person complaining on amazon that their copy was just noise. No one else seems to have mentioned this problem, though. Could it be some weird sort of data-rot?
Mastered within an inch of its life? I wonder if this is the phenomenon known as "inter-sample overs" manifesting itself.

a-
"On the internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:48 pm

I'm pretty sure it's not a pre-mastering problem. On a cheap boombox and on my roommate's MacBook, it sounds normal?fairly quiet, even. But it has this crazy sound on two different computers, both of which haven't had any problems like this in the past.

This is totally up my alley :D . Trying to decide if I should copy this sound for something in the future...

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:08 pm

i could redo your records with a bitcrusher plug on there...

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:10 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:i could redo your records with a bitcrusher plug on there...
Don't use a plugin, use outboard gear. So much warmer... :wink:
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits

Z-Plane
pushin' record

Post by Z-Plane » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:26 am

wren wrote:
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:i could redo your records with a bitcrusher plug on there...
Don't use a plugin, use outboard gear. So much warmer... :wink:
Yes, I'm a big fan of the analog bitcrusher.

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:28 am

Got to use an analog bitcrusher for that vintage sound...

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Re: Why would a cd sound distorted on only some cd players?

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:29 am

yeah, let me get out my abacus to help me design the world's first analog bitcrusher.
Andy Peters wrote:Mastered within an inch of its life? I wonder if this is the phenomenon known as "inter-sample overs" manifesting itself.
most definitely not. intersample overs don't make things sound like a chainsaw. and as the cd is from 1984, i'd be amazed if it even peaks at -1.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:52 am

It's sounds more like Melora Kreiger of Rasputina than Yo-yo Ma. Of maybe a Yo-You Ma collaboration with the Flaming Lips.

I'd guess the program playing the CD has some sort of 'level match for all songs' or some other processing running in the background.

It's freaking cool.

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:24 pm

Ok, so it seems like this is a problem with iTunes. When I play the music from the cd, using Quicktime, it sounds normal. But when I play it in iTunes it does this distorted sound. "Sound Check", "Sound Enhancer", auto-crossfading and the EQ are all turned off. Is there something else that iTunes is doing in the background that could be affecting the sound to this degree?

This is still pretty strange, because I haven't experienced this with any other cd in iTunes (before or after). Haven't done an update recently or changed any settings...

digital eagle audio
pushin' record

Post by digital eagle audio » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:09 pm

i really enjoyed this, thanks for sharing!
my only comparable experience was when Mastodon's Leviathan came out we played it on the living room stereo and the record had no vocals! it sounded normal everywhere else, but on that cd changing POS, it was an instrumental record . . .

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:31 pm

digital eagle audio wrote:my only comparable experience was when Mastodon's Leviathan came out we played it on the living room stereo and the record had no vocals! it sounded normal everywhere else, but on that cd changing POS, it was an instrumental record . . .
Once I was tuning the sound system at a venue that had a 1/8" stereo input on a wall panel somewhere - plugged an mp3 player into it, and got a vocal-less phase-y mess. Turns out the install people had wired it like they wired the XLR/TRS ins rather than as a stereo in.

That doesn't sound like what you're talking about at all, though; just the one CD in just the one location? That is really weird...
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits