Issue with Tascam US-2000

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ckeene
suffering 'studio suck'

Issue with Tascam US-2000

Post by ckeene » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:43 am

Hi,

I have a Tascam US-2000 interface. It's one of those 16 channel USB deals with built-in pres. I've been having a lot of trouble running this, both with Sonar and Reaper. Lots of sputtering and dropouts and digital distortion. Sometimes it happens right away. Sometimes it takes a while. Once the audio starts breaking down I have to reset the Tascam.

I switched up the drivers. I've tried the Tascam ASIO drivers, WDM and ASIO4All. The Tascam ASIO seems to work the best.

My computer is a Sony VAIO laptop, i7 processor and solid state hard drive. This computer used to be used for software development and has database and web server services I had to disable. Also the hard drive is kind of full (70%). So it's not a clean machine, but it does run audio from a DAW ok when I use the builtin Realtek drivers. Plus the recordings I'm running are just 4-5 channels, and not a lot of extra processing.

So I'm not sure if I should try a third interface and see what happens (the Tascam replaced a Motu 828mkii that died), or set up a dedicated recording computer.

Any setup suggestions I might be missing? I did adjust latency and that doesn't seem to do much. Also, should I always try and use whatever drivers came with my interface? Is ASIO used by most people with an external interface?

Thanks.

ckeene
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ckeene » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:28 am

Well, here's an update on this: issue solved by getting a Mac.

Also my old "broken" 828mkII suddenly works on the Mac.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:31 am

ckeene wrote:Well, here's an update on this: issue solved by getting a Mac.

Also my old "broken" 828mkII suddenly works on the Mac.
+1

"Once You Go Mac, You Never Go Back"

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Dubmaniac
gettin' sounds

Post by Dubmaniac » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:21 pm

Intersting. My US-2000 works like a dream on my PC running XP and my Vaio running 7 Home Premium. It would have cost a lot less to fix the Vaio, probably by reloading the OS, than it did to buy a Mac. If you don't want your Vaio, I'll take it. I won't even charge you to recycle it! :wink:
"Stare with your ears"- Ken Nordine