Frequency Range Question: Low, Low Mid, High Mid, High

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

UnlikeKurt
pushin' record

Frequency Range Question: Low, Low Mid, High Mid, High

Post by UnlikeKurt » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:38 am

Hi all.
I'm wondering (and searching the net didn't help too much) if there are agreed upon ranges represented by Low, Low Mid, High Mid & High?

I seem to remember being tested on this in school but I really cant remember at this point. If I was guessing I'd say 20 - 250, 250 - 1K, 1k - 5k, 5k-20k or something like that.

Thoughts?

EarlSlick
takin' a dinner break

Post by EarlSlick » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:15 am

I would say that your those ranges are an appropriate classification.

The hard part is trying to figure out what heck some is actually talking about when they want a mix or instrument to be, "Brighter", "Heavier", or "Insert Vague Subjective Term". The numeric classification is important, but how people perceive that classification totally depends on the individual mix.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:41 am

For me, low is 10-400Hz, lowmid is maybe 300-600Hz (it depends) then I just have "mids" 600ish-2-3K, and then highs. Up to 400 is all the "omni" stuff, generally and things really start sounding trebly to me pretty early, sometimes even at 1 or 2k, but definitely by 4k (where I start looking for "click" in a kick tone (if I want it) or some balls to the bass). I think of maybe 10k and up as "air" or "upper highs" though. Oh and 10-40Hz or so is "shit I can't hear, but I worry about what it's doing to my headroom." I guess I have a bunch of overlap, maybe that's why I get confused about eq'ing sometimes.

But I might be a complete hack, so don't listen to me.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.