RE20 vs D12 Bass Cab Mic

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

BootsyGraham
audio school graduate

RE20 vs D12 Bass Cab Mic

Post by BootsyGraham » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:36 pm

Hey guys, I'm debating between buying a used D12 or a used RE20 to mic my bass. Right now I've been switching between a D112 and a 421. The 421 sounds too sterile. I like the D112 a lot because it has a nice grit or a nice bite but it is still not exactly where I want to to be. I like running the DI out of my SVP-CL and blending it with the low passed mic.

Other than the D12 being hard to get and hard to find a nice version that isn't messed up/repair, what are some of the differences between the two in terms of actual sound? I'm trying to get a mic that can capture the nice low end of the cab.

E.Bennett
re-cappin' neve

Post by E.Bennett » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:33 pm

The d12 is getting more and more expensive. A bit too expensive for a mic that isn't easily repaired. I do like mine, but I wouldn't get one today for the current asking prices. The mic has plenty of low end and low mid growl, but has very little articulation. The re20 is a better all-rounder and will exhibit a much flatter frequency response in comparison to the d12. The re20 can be repaired easily if damaged.

Dominick Costanzo
pushin' record

Post by Dominick Costanzo » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:02 pm

A RE20 is a no brainer for a bass cabinet. Though your technique of relying on the mic for low end oomph may not be the most optimal use of it. Like Mr. Bennett says, it excels in articulation. Capturing the "voice" of your amp.
When I use the combo of DI & RE20 it's the DI that gets me the fundamentals and the RE20 that grabs the grit.
It's a classic combo worth trying of you can borrow one.
An EV RE15, RE16, RE11 or RE 10 will get you essentially the same thing minus the lowest octave.
Dominick Costanzo

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:03 pm

How about the RE320?

I ask because I have one, and not a RE20, but I've not yet hadda chance to record bass with it in that we have been using DI to record with the drums, and avoid the bleed.

That said, I soon will (as well as compare to a MD421 II, and mebbe a e602, and a MXL 9000 - all it takes is time!) - any idear how it stacks up vs. the RE20?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

{}
audio school graduate

Post by {} » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:07 pm

RE20 rules on everything. End of story.

gevermil
takin' a dinner break

Post by gevermil » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:42 pm

Got the same question except for kick drum .
D12 ive heard on all my favorite recordings , can the re20 achieve the same results ?

dwelle
buyin' a studio

Post by dwelle » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:06 pm

pssst. beyer m380.

likes kick drums too...

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:19 pm

i've used the d112, re20..i liked the d112 better because it picks up my drum the way I like for whatever reason..the re20 seems to capture too much information and that equates to more work in the end..both useable of course..

though since i've been using the sennheiser e602-ii and it's my favorite bass drum mic and i've felt no reason to change it out for many years now..gives me exactly what I like with no fuss..

well not much fuss..the other half of my kick sound comes from padding the output of an api preamp and letting the input side overload a bit..the built-in pad on the 512c is in the wrong place imho..

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:23 pm

for bass guitar cab I've got so many things to work..it actually depends on how it needs to sound for the style/song/arrangement..

that said the sound of a LDC might be the most versatile in that application..that should give you the most information..but the bad part of that is that it gives you the most information..

so you might have to sculpt it in post to suit the material..

Dominick Costanzo
pushin' record

Post by Dominick Costanzo » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:13 pm

gevermil wrote:Got the same question except for kick drum .
D12 ive heard on all my favorite recordings , can the re20 achieve the same results ?
Not the same as a D12 for sure but you've heard an RE20 on many of your "favorite" recordings.
Dominick Costanzo

Frost
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Frost » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:27 am

I like the re20 every time I use it. I LOVE the beyer m88 in the same bass/kick locations.

ImaginaryCat
studio intern

Post by ImaginaryCat » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:29 am

the D12 is good for two things. The RE20 is good on everything. It's like buying several microphones at the same time.
Please don't take out your rage on me. I have no patience for angry people.

top_ape
alignin' 24-trk

Post by top_ape » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:15 pm

I was just about to go on about how the RE20 is just a way better mic. The two don't even really compare. What Imaginary Cat said is right on.

You can take an RE20 and some EQ and get pretty close to anything you could get out of a D12, but not the other way around. If it was still in production today I can pretty much promise you it wouldn't be fetishized the way it is. It's basically a lo-fi mic with a big bottom end.

All that being said, I just had a mini reality-check and a reminder that the performer/performance trumps all, when I opened up a magazine and saw a vintage picture of Chuck Berry singing into.........a D12!

edwinhurwitz
studio intern

Post by edwinhurwitz » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:22 pm

I love my RE20 for bass cabinet. However, this weekend I'm going to experiment with a Beesneez Oliver. Back when I worked in a studio with a nice locker of Neumanns I loved a U47 on all things bass but didn't get a chance to try it on a bass cabinet.

sound for sandwiches
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by sound for sandwiches » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:47 pm

When my RE20 was stolen about a year ago, I replaced it with a heil PR40. The main intended application for both mics was bass cab, which they both do well, but I think I like the PR40 a little better, at least I can get a sound that work for me a little quicker with it. I have also gotten good results on a wide variety of sources with the PR40. They sound similar, but not the same... both are good versatile large dynamics. The Heil can be had a little cheaper than the RE20 if you compare new to new. It would be easier to find a used RE20 though I bet. One thing I like about the PR40 that didn't factor into my decision to purchase, but I have found I really appreciate is that it's about half as long. Meaning bass players whack it out of position half as often.