Avantone mixcube question.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Shellacattack
alignin' 24-trk

Avantone mixcube question.

Post by Shellacattack » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:08 pm

I'm thinking of getting a pair of the passive mixcubes, and I'm wondering if I can run them off of my Presonus HP4 headphone amp.

Any thoughts on this?

If you have another suggestion for a similar speaker that can be run from the HP4, please let me know.

Danke.
"Took my money, I couldn't buy nothin. I'm sick of this brave new world."

hank alrich
alignin' 24-trk

Post by hank alrich » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:19 pm

The powered versions have a 60 watt amp built-in. Your headphone amp doesn't have that kind of power. The results could be disappointing.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:27 pm

I have those and I actually run them off of a really nice older carver amp I have. I doubt that the headphone amp would do what you want. I mean, they aren't going to shake the house by any stretch of the imagination but I think you still need some wattage behind them.

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:40 pm

I dunno, i'm running mine off a little 8 watt t amp and they sound pretty ok....

hank alrich
alignin' 24-trk

Post by hank alrich » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:29 pm

Probably make sense to read the manual for the Presonus, particularly under Section 4.1 Back Panel Basic Layout. http://tinyurl.com/825brle

Shellacattack
alignin' 24-trk

Re: Avantone mixcube question.

Post by Shellacattack » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:44 pm

hank alrich wrote:Probably make sense to read the manual for the Presonus, particularly under Section 4.1 Back Panel Basic Layout. http://tinyurl.com/825brle
Well I've already got a pair of Events running out of the Monitor/Thru jacks.. I was hoping to run the mixcubes from the front panel headphone outs, like I've done with crappy computer speakers. Sounds like it's a no go though.

I'm actually leaning more towards the Behritone C50A's now... cheaper, and self powered.

Shellacattack
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Shellacattack » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:49 pm

Oh hey T-rex, any luck with those Slint bootlegs? No worries if not, I'm just curious because they sound cool!

hank alrich
alignin' 24-trk

Post by hank alrich » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:54 pm

The specs say 150mw each output for the cans. I think that's not really enough for your purpose. Powered model should work fine controlled via the HP4.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:56 am

I found them last night. After I replied to the thread I remembered that I was supposed to look for those. I have been in a holiday daze!

The quality is not very good, but there are I think 11 tracks. Glen from the album, then the rest are all live. A good collection of songs from both albums along with one track listed as "unknown" which is pretty cool and I haven't heard anywhere else, but I am not a mega fan or anything so you may have it. PM me and I will figure out the best way to get them to ya via web, email or whatever.

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:16 am

Shellacattack wrote:
hank alrich wrote:Probably make sense to read the manual for the Presonus, particularly under Section 4.1 Back Panel Basic Layout. http://tinyurl.com/825brle
Well I've already got a pair of Events running out of the Monitor/Thru jacks.. I was hoping to run the mixcubes from the front panel headphone outs, like I've done with crappy computer speakers. Sounds like it's a no go though.

I'm actually leaning more towards the Behritone C50A's now... cheaper, and self powered.
You could feed the headphone jack into a power amp with an insert cable ( L/R).Thing is, everything will be post fader. ( fine if all you are using it for is stereo playback, no individual track adjustment)..Good luck..