Logic: Recording the Pedalboard plug-in?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Logic: Recording the Pedalboard plug-in?

Post by comfortstarr » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:05 pm

Probably I'm just missing something obvious, but how do I "record" pedalboard actions during a take? I'm controlling the pedalboard with an FCB1010. I've experimented with the various automation settings. One weird behavior I get with Touch or Latch is that if I start playing with a pedal bypassed, then engage it, then bypass, then engage, when I replay the track, it starts engaged and doesn't pick up the bypassing until it occurs the 2nd time, from that point on it behaves in playback as if the actions are recording.

Perhaps I have something incorrectly set in the FCB1010 (I use iFCB with that, but on logic I'm just using the "learn" function to assign pedals on the board to pedal states in pedalboard). Basically, I just want to capture the track as if I was using real pedals--and yes, I understand the value of logic not actually recording that processed audio.

Thanks in advance

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:02 pm

When you're finished recording the track, are you able to go into the hypereditor and see what you've done?

If so, then make sure the channel is in "Read" mode, and everything you've done should affect the parameters you're looking to affect.

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:05 pm

I could swear I tested all the modes--but I'll try again soon. It appears you can assign the mode at the region level, but also for individual pieces of data (e.g., volume, pan, plug-in). Does it matter where you assign it?

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Logic: Recording the Pedalboard plug-in?

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:43 pm

comfortstarr wrote:Probably I'm just missing something obvious, but how do I "record" pedalboard actions during a take? I'm controlling the pedalboard with an FCB1010. I've experimented with the various automation settings. One weird behavior I get with Touch or Latch is that if I start playing with a pedal bypassed, then engage it, then bypass, then engage, when I replay the track, it starts engaged and doesn't pick up the bypassing until it occurs the 2nd time, from that point on it behaves in playback as if the actions are recording.

Perhaps I have something incorrectly set in the FCB1010 (I use iFCB with that, but on logic I'm just using the "learn" function to assign pedals on the board to pedal states in pedalboard). Basically, I just want to capture the track as if I was using real pedals--and yes, I understand the value of logic not actually recording that processed audio.

Thanks in advance
You need to start with the pedal ENGAGED before the song starts, press bypass, so this command is recorded in Logic.

Then, each time you play back, as long as you start Logic BEFORE the bypass command, it will bypass the effects.

Simple, really.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:15 pm

Sadly... not so simple. Still not working. On playback, the pedalboard is "live" and controls the region, but what I did while recording it is not played back. Any other ideas/thoughts?

Edit to add: Okay... I think I may have figured something out. If I set the automation to "Latch" and do the thing where I engage and disengage before playing. It appears to work. However, with more than one pedal being used, it gets a little weird (I'm guessing this has something to do with midi assignments, at which I'm a complete and utter novice). Anyways... I think I'm on the right track.

lysander
pushin' record

Post by lysander » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:02 pm

If you don't mind recording your performance directly to an audio track (i.e., not editing the midi later), couldn't you set the output for that track to a bus, and then set that bus as the input for another audio track?