AKAI DPS16. Exporting Files..

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Michl
audio school

AKAI DPS16. Exporting Files..

Post by Michl » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:20 am

Hi. I have an old DPS 16 and am searching for a way to get my recorded tracks on my Mac for further treatments. I don't want to use the SCSI connection. Will there be a quality loss when i export the files through the Master Output into an Apogee Duet 2 into Mac? Or should i get an Interface with Digital In and export the files through the DPS16 Digital Out?

Thank You..

sears
steve albini likes it

Post by sears » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:51 am

The s/pdif interface transfers a stereo file. I know you don't want to do scsi but a used plextor CD/R is $50 and you can burn all sixteen tracks to a multitrack wav file. I've never done it before, but I do stereo wavs since I don't have a computer anywhere near my DPS anymore.

Hugelongjohns
audio school

You'll need BWF Manager too

Post by Hugelongjohns » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:14 am

I used to do this all the time. Burn your multitrack BWAV onto a CD via the burner as described, then to get the tracks onto your DAW you'll need BWF Manager which you can download from the Fostex website, for mac or pc. Just Google BWF Manager and it'll come straight up. It's free too. Bit of a palavar but worth it. I still can't get Logic to sound as good as my old DPS16 without a lot of effort and plugins!

Hope this helps. (My first post by the way!).

Michl
audio school

Post by Michl » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:14 am

Thank you for replying. I'm curious if someone can tell me if therewould be a quality loss when using the master outputs!?

Hugelongjohns
audio school

Post by Hugelongjohns » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:14 am

Weeeeeeell. I'm sure loads of people will tell you that you should stay in the digital domain for as long as possible but realistically going from digital to analogue via the master outs won't hurt too much. I won't tell if you won't! If you can get hold of a burner, I'd give it a go. It means you get an extra digital backup on a CD at the same time as you do the transfer, remember, which is always a good thing.

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:25 pm

^ +1 you won't be able to tell the difference
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

sears
steve albini likes it

Post by sears » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:51 am

You could always buy the s/pdif interface, see if you can tell the difference and return it if you can't