God help my wallet. I've been bitten by the modular bug.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

God help my wallet. I've been bitten by the modular bug.

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:49 pm

I avoided modular synthesizers for years. Too much money, too much space...and for one note at a time? Clearly that was a road only the wealthy and/or obsessed could travel. But I have been seduced, perhaps possessed, by the wallet savaging ways of discrete electronics and voltage control. Pity me...and, perhaps, fear me. For I have learned the ways of the patch cord, and I cannot turn back. Soon I will be posting pictures of my homemade modules and earnestly discussing the merits of obscure multimode filters. Soon, I will be cursing my dull drill bits as I make panels and chasing down cold soldier joints in my Ray Wilson modules. Soon, i will be lighting candles at the shrine of Buchla. All too soon.

I an Modular.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

slowcentury
gettin' sounds

Post by slowcentury » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:48 am

Nice! I cant wait to see the pics! I have always wanted to get modular myself. Im thinking a suitcase synth might be a good place to start.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:41 pm

I can barely play keys ( altho' on someone here's reco I recently got a very cool Yama S03) so not much risk of me goin' this kinda modular.

I just wanna say I'm thankful yer not postin' about 500 series stuff, as I feel I am mebbe at risk of contracting that particular bug ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:10 pm

IMHO modular synthesis doesn't necessarily have anything to do with playing keyboards. I don't have a keyboard to interface w my modular. I just patch up a sequence and go for it. Having said that, most of my patches wouldn't be called music either. Oh well, nevermind.

p.s. most modulars are also polychromatic or whatever the right word is...