Mike Senior - Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:11 am

Yeah the book is an excellent reinforcement of how to proceed with setting up a mixing environment DIY at home, how to get the most out of your ITB gear, and tips and tricks regarding fattening up tracks (fake double-tracking was a major "duh! of course!" moment for me.

Anyway, it's a great read. I know a lot and have been doing this a while, but the book basically has me re-thinking a lot of aspects of my process, things that have been FRUSTRATING the hell out of me. So I'm taking his advice on spending $$$ getting my room a bit better, I just bought a solo powered MixCube for mono/lo-fi testing during mixing (paired with NS-10Ms and Rogers Studio 1 vintage BBC monitors). And I'm getting ready to follow some of his insights on my next mixing project: my band's debut EP.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:30 pm

Yeah, on that mono thing, I have of course read about that for a long time but he really persuaded me, I got some Auratones and even TFP's drummer is raving about the improvements in the mix.

(I crack on "my" drummer a lot, I know, but I love the guy and, besides beating on shite, what are drummers for? :twisted: )
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

triviul
audio school

Post by triviul » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:57 am

Hello everyone -- I'm the author of Mixing Secrets and Mix Rescue. Only just got to this thread, but I figured I should probably clarify my views about the whole 'messing with the band's vision' issue. I am also uncomfortable with the idea of imposing an external view of what a production 'should' sound like against the views of the artist. The bottom line is that it's their music, not mine, and it's my job to make their music the best it can be for them -- not for me.

However, a lot of the people who come to me for mixing are doing so because they're chasing certain genre-specific sounds that they don't know how to achieve, and which they haven't adequately prepared for during preproduction and tracking, so that does mean that I frequently find myself taking what would under other circumstances be unpardonable liberties with the raw material to bring them closer to their goals. And, as one of the other posters pointed out, I usually miss the mark in one way or another (there's a lot of guesswork involved, after all), but I try not to get precious about anything -- if something I've done isn't right for the artist, then it needs changing, even if that means starting over completely from scratch.

So, in short, I suppose I kind of agree with all of you! :roll:
Mixing Secrets For The Small Studio -- A complete mixing method based around the techniques of the world's most famous producers.

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:25 pm

And there, ladies and gentlemen, is a prime example of the powers of the Internet. Thanks Mike!

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:23 pm

8)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:38 pm

"However, a lot of the people who come to me for mixing are doing so because they're chasing certain genre-specific sounds that they don't know how to achieve, "

See, now that makes sense, if people know what they want and turn to Senior to get it. I ordered the book, can't hurt to read about small-room setup and so forth.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:38 pm

I bought it based on this thread and the first part about ported monitors is pretty eye opening. Great read so far.

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:43 am

Bumping this thread because this book has taught me a lot and I feel that it's an excellent read for anyone starting out or looking to improve things.

Jeff

Osumosan
takin' a dinner break

Post by Osumosan » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:54 pm

Plus one or more on this book being a completely fantastic read on how to get things done and how to know you're doing it "right." Any ethical issues of manipulating people's music is up to you, the mixer/producer. I'm about 1/2 way through right now. I'll update my thoughts if they change after the second bit.

Jarvis
pushin' record

Post by Jarvis » Mon May 12, 2014 10:50 am

Loved the book. Thanks for stopping by Mr Senior.
Ivan the Threadstopper