Interfaces for analog mixing?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mattdhall
pluggin' in mics

Interfaces for analog mixing?

Post by mattdhall » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:15 pm

Hey guys. I've been thinking about getting an analog mixer and some outboard gear and mixing that way, but I was wondering what type of interface people are using for this type of set up. The interface I have is a MOTU 8pre, which I believe I can hang two ADAT interfaces off of for 16 channels out to an analog board. Is that enough for a satisfying mix? I also have a Focusrite Saffire PRO 24, which I believe can only take 8 in/out over ADAT.
I'm also thinking instead, I should maybe invest in something like a Tascam US-2400 and some good plug-ins to make mixing in-the-box a little easier. Thoughts on that?

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:51 am

Hi,

Have you ever mixed all analogue?

Have you ever mixed In The Box with fader controllers?

And as to what constitutes a "satisfying mix" only you can truly anser that question for yourself.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

mattdhall
pluggin' in mics

Post by mattdhall » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:06 am

I have mixed analog quite a bit, but only coming out of an HD24.
The only control surface I've used has been a Korg Nanokontrol, which I found to be more trouble than it was worth.

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:10 am

Staying with the MOTU theme, I use the 24i/o and the 2408 to get 32 channels of i/o.

I don't generally mix with the board anymore, but I do use the extra i/o to run out of the DAW into outboard compressors and effects units.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:21 pm

farview wrote:Staying with the MOTU theme, I use the 24i/o and the 2408 to get 32 channels of i/o.

I don't generally mix with the board anymore, but I do use the extra i/o to run out of the DAW into outboard compressors and effects units.
Not intending to hijack this thread, but how do you like the the 24io? I had been looking at it and the 2408 also for same reason plus the ability to do 96khz. But I have a black lion tweakhead 002r now so was afraid the sound may be a downgrade...

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:06 am

My 2408 is black lion modded, my 24 i/o isn't. The difference is pretty subtle, which is why I didn't bother to modify my 24i/o. (the 2408 was modified before I bought it)

It's sounds good and seems pretty bullet proof. I've had it in for repair once since 2004, and it is turned on and working every day for at least 10-12 hours.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:35 am

Cool, thanks (hopefully helps the op too...)
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

musictech
ass engineer

Post by musictech » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:44 am

what's the main reason you want to do this??do you want to use external equipment you have or you like..the feel and the control of an analogue system>>??have you consider to try a multitouch screen (works on windows 7) next to you and control everything..in a very creatful way?