Tascam 388 Minimalist Project Done and Done!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jrdamien
gettin' sounds

Post by jrdamien » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:43 pm

dubold wrote:good stuff, really enjoying this.

Very cool. Thanks.

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:04 pm

Cool sounds here, the minimal setup is a great match for the material. I like your voice too, nice to hear a baritone with character like that. Reminds me a bit of Greg Brown in spots. Oh, and good of the drummer to keep the hihat out of the picture for much of the time! It really helps give tons of space.

cheers,
Leigh

tony_tomlinson
gettin' sounds

Post by tony_tomlinson » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:15 pm

It's stuff like this that I hear in my head when I think of TapeOp. I hope that if you do raise enough money to make a record you spent it all on tacos, shoes, and toothpaste and make the record just like you made these tracks.

tony_tomlinson
gettin' sounds

Post by tony_tomlinson » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:18 pm

My bad, I read your site wrong. You are raising money to release the record. Well, you should spend money on tacos, shoes, and toothpaste anyway. Still, I hope that you keep making records like this. Sounds like art.

jrdamien
gettin' sounds

Post by jrdamien » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:50 pm

tony_tomlinson wrote:My bad, I read your site wrong. You are raising money to release the record. Well, you should spend money on tacos, shoes, and toothpaste anyway. Still, I hope that you keep making records like this. Sounds like art.
Haha, thank you! Oh man I'll forever make records like this, now that I've had a taste. This is the kind of music I like and the kind of recording I love to hear and do.

cale w
gettin' sounds

Post by cale w » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:59 pm

Bought it! Great sounds all the way through, man. That guitar sound has me wanting one of those r144's. Did you do much eq work on the guitar after tracking?

jrdamien
gettin' sounds

Post by jrdamien » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:03 pm

cale w wrote:Bought it! Great sounds all the way through, man. That guitar sound has me wanting one of those r144's. Did you do much eq work on the guitar after tracking?
I did on some of the tracks. The r144 is nice, but in the future I don't know if I'll use it with the 388 again. It's very warm - almost too much so. I tweaked the eq some to compensate.

On this note, the ES-57's I bought are amazing. Not just as good as an sm-57 - better. Clear, no eqing necessary, quiet.

But, the record is being remastered right this moment now that we raised the money for the hard release, so I will send you a copy of it when it's done, and you can have both versions.