Tascam 388 Minimalist Project Done and Done!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jrdamien
gettin' sounds

Tascam 388 Minimalist Project Done and Done!

Post by jrdamien » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:40 pm

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:11 pm Post subject: Tascam 388 Minimalist Project Done and Done!
So I had a long delay in an album recorded last April because the 388 broke and it took me a long while to carefully fix it. If you want the story I'll share.

The album is called "Mo'Fi." We're selling a limited edition of it on our website www.crookedsaws.com - a download accompanied by a physical cd in a hand crafted package. Also just the download on Bandcamp - thecrookedsaws.bandcamp.com (for $6).

I don't anticipate any sales, but if you want to hear it Bandcamp of course streams full songs.

All of these were done with two mics, one on the drums and one on the guitar, straight to the 388. Vocals overdubbed. Mixed down using just a reverb pedal and then some eq tweaks on the digital side. That was the entire workflow.

Discuss!

j.harv
gettin' sounds

Post by j.harv » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:41 pm

Just ordered it from your site.
Im all about the 388,love it.
Just having a hard time opening the download.Im terrible with computers.
I'll keep messing around and try to get it going.Looking forward to the CD though,so that will be cool too.
Great job.

jrdamien
gettin' sounds

Post by jrdamien » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:07 pm

j.harv wrote:Just ordered it from your site.
I'll keep messing around and try to get it going.Looking forward to the CD though,so that will be cool too.
Great job.
Oh thanks man! There's a file attached to it with instructions. If you can't figure that out let me know and I'll walk you through it.

Klamnops
audio school graduate

Post by Klamnops » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:05 am

Hey man sounds good! What mics are ya using?
Tascam 388, sterling audio st77, shure sm57, belari m105...

jrdamien
gettin' sounds

Post by jrdamien » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:31 am

Klamnops wrote:Hey man sounds good! What mics are ya using?
Thank you. I used an sm57 knock off, the ES-57 on the drums and vocals and an MXL r144 on the guitar cab.

j.harv
gettin' sounds

Post by j.harv » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:25 pm

jrdamien wrote:
j.harv wrote:Just ordered it from your site.
Great job.
Oh thanks man! There's a file attached to it with instructions. If you can't figure that out let me know and I'll walk you through it.

Ok.Well I did download the file and had it on my desktop.I tried to unzip it,but I guess I didnt have a program to do that.I looked for a free winzip prog and when I downloaded that it somehow attached itself to your file.Then when I tried to open it,I kept getting a message saying that I had to pay $29 for the winzip program :lol: .
So I ended up deleting it all.
Is there any way I could try and download the file again.???

jrdamien
gettin' sounds

Post by jrdamien » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:38 pm

Ok.Well I did download the file and had it on my desktop.I tried to unzip it,but I guess I didnt have a program to do that.I looked for a free winzip prog and when I downloaded that it somehow attached itself to your file.Then when I tried to open it,I kept getting a message saying that I had to pay $29 for the winzip program :lol: .
So I ended up deleting it all.
Is there any way I could try and download the file again.???
Yeah man. Sorry for the trouble. There's a readme file in that zip and instructions on the download page that I am going to update right this moment to make it even clearer.

Go back to this page: http://www.crookedsaws.com/download-mofi/

Re-enter your email. Download again. You can download as often as you like.

Get the file and save it to your desktop. Then just double click the file if you're using windows. If that doesn't work, download this:

http://www.7-zip.org/

It's a free and easy unzip program.

If you still can't get it, email me at jrdamien@gmail.com and I'll walk you through it.

Oh, and thanks for dl it! I hope you dig it.

SC
audio school graduate

Re: Tascam 388 Minimalist Project Done and Done!

Post by SC » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:11 pm

jrdamien wrote:Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:11 pm Post subject: Tascam 388 Minimalist Project Done and Done!
So I had a long delay in an album recorded last April because the 388 broke and it took me a long while to carefully fix it. If you want the story I'll share.
!
I listened to a few tracks on the site and bought the album. Very dark music. Sounds great.

jrdamien
gettin' sounds

Re: Tascam 388 Minimalist Project Done and Done!

Post by jrdamien » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:38 pm

SC wrote:
jrdamien wrote:Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:11 pm Post subject: Tascam 388 Minimalist Project Done and Done!
!
I listened to a few tracks on the site and bought the album. Very dark music. Sounds great.
Thank you very much. I hope no one buys it that doesn't. I wish more people had more to say so we could talk about the Tascam! But thanks very much for picking it up. Pass it along if you're of the mind to do so.

j.harv
gettin' sounds

Post by j.harv » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:58 pm

Been listening at work for the past couple days now.I love the sound you got.I really like the little reverse part you threw in there on the song 'Free'.
Very nice.
I love hearing stuff recorded on the 388.It always makes me want to mess around with mine even more.

jrdamien
gettin' sounds

Post by jrdamien » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:13 pm

j.harv wrote:Been listening at work for the past couple days now.I love the sound you got.I really like the little reverse part you threw in there on the song 'Free'.
Very nice.
I love hearing stuff recorded on the 388.It always makes me want to mess around with mine even more.
Very glad you liked it. That reverse part was actually all over the place at first but I couldn't make it work, much to my sadness.

Love the 388. I have my heart set on doing the follow up to this album on it as well, though with a slightly more elaborate setup.

gavintheaudioengineer
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by gavintheaudioengineer » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:50 am

Had a listen on the little player on the page, sounds really great man, keep on!

There's just this beauty with the 388 that I can't quite describe. Keeps the music musical and human I suppose. Everything cuts through in the right places, and it's really sympathetic throughout.

I've just done my first session a few days back with a 388. One of the finished tracks almost brought the drummer to tears I kid you not! I'll post them up once we've decided how and when we're setting them free.

Using the 388 gave me the same feeling that I had as a kid recording my own radio shows on a small tape deck- real magic!
"When you can't find the solution, you can always admire the problem."

gavintheaudioengineer
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by gavintheaudioengineer » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:51 am

Had a listen on the little player on the page, sounds really great man, keep on!

There's just this beauty with the 388 that I can't quite describe. Keeps the music musical and human I suppose. Everything cuts through in the right places, and it's really sympathetic throughout.

I've just done my first session a few days back with a 388. One of the finished tracks almost brought the drummer to tears I kid you not! I'll post them up once we've decided how and when we're setting them free.

Using the 388 gave me the same feeling that I had as a kid recording my own radio shows on a small tape deck- real magic!
"When you can't find the solution, you can always admire the problem."

jrdamien
gettin' sounds

Post by jrdamien » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:20 pm

gavintheaudioengineer wrote:Had a listen on the little player on the page, sounds really great man, keep on!

Thank you. Was having a conversation last night about how to record the followup. I want to use the 388 again and a little more elaborate mic array if I can't find somewhere with a decent 2" that doesn't cost a fortune.

dubold
steve albini likes it

Post by dubold » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:22 am

good stuff, really enjoying this.