Recording SVT Bass Amp In A House - How Quiet/Loud Can I Get

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

iamthecosmos
pushin' record

Recording SVT Bass Amp In A House - How Quiet/Loud Can I Get

Post by iamthecosmos » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:44 am

I'm kind of stuck in terms of re-amping some bass for a new record I'm working on. The only place I can record is in my house, which is a terraced house (though only joining onto one other house). The music is basically post-rock with electronic elements.

My question is, how quiet can I run the SVT Classic (through a 4x12 cab) without it sounding bad? I'm also going to have some distorted bass going on. I'm not going to be recording at unsociable hours but I am concerned about pissing my neighbours off too much. My only other option is a Sansamp Classic, and I don't think that's going to generate enough low end.

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:39 am

Do you have a basement? Its hard to get them to growl at a real low vol, and I like to get them up and interacting with the room a bit.

I would plug it in and start at the lowest vol and work my way up. Until... you get the sound you want, or the cops show up. :)
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:02 am

If you are concerned about pissing your neighbors off I'd heavily consider something like Tech21 VTBass (similar to their Sansamp line I guess but more tailored), or Amplitube (even the free version I think has a bass amp on it).

I think though since you are connected to another house the best option for recording through your actual bass amp is to talk to your neighbors and figure out the best time and appease their schedule. I think you would make enemies in a hurry attempting anything else.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:36 pm

If you can step away from the full SVT rig, and I bet that's difficult, you might try just running into a 2x12" or 1X12".

And if you can leave the SVT completely, try a smaller amp, even a Pro,Jr. or the like.

Me (a bassist), I find no prob with D.I., and get good results thru stuff like a dbx163X, or a ART TPS, or a meek VC3Q or a VTB1 ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

iamthecosmos
pushin' record

Post by iamthecosmos » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:49 pm

It's not going to be for longer than an hour or two so I think I might get away with it during the day. Unfortunately the only bass amp and cab I've got access to is this SVT Classic and 4x12.

I did experiment with the Sansamp Classic in terms of flipping phase, though I'm worried about what problems that might introduce in the mix. I'd read the Tchad Blake interview about that but never tried it. Is anyone commonly flipping the phase of an amp/amp modeller track and DI? Any things to watch out for with this?

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:38 am

Zoom in and inspect the waveform. If they are out of phase, then flip it. Or flip it and see what it sounds like. I sometimes nudge one or the other and listen for the best sound.
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

BrontoSoreAss
gettin' sounds

Post by BrontoSoreAss » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:19 am

"I think though since you are connected to another house the best option for recording through your actual bass amp is to talk to your neighbors and figure out the best time and appease their schedule. I think you would make enemies in a hurry attempting anything else."

This is the right answer. Having police at your door is not fun. Loud amps on the other hand are extremely fun. I also recommend not being drunk and mouthy if the police do show up at your door in response to your play time with your fun fun amp. Apparently they don't like that.