Ear Care

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

RickvH
alignin' 24-trk

Post by RickvH » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:28 am

@vxboogie
From what I recall, the plugs I have were designed with the -15s in mind and they are supposed to be the flattest of the three.

I use mostly the -9 or the -15 and I find them both to be pretty flat. I have not done any serious testing to compare them, but in casual use I can't tell any difference in their frequency response.
"It's just a prototype...unless it works."
Recent Projects

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:03 pm

i have future sonics custom in ear monitors, i use them just for plugs as well during rehearsals, and i need to get some cheap foam ones for concerts.

vxboogie
pushin' record

Post by vxboogie » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:11 pm

markjazzbassist wrote:i have future sonics custom in ear monitors, i use them just for plugs as well during rehearsals, and i need to get some cheap foam ones for concerts.
Would FS still have your molds? The plugs from them aren't terribly expensive and should be far superior to foam ones. If you don't do that, I'd get the Etys for about $12. I use my Etys for concerts, but I've not been as comfortable using them for loud FOH gigs since they roll of the highs a bit too much.
Mark - Listen, turn knob, repeat as necessary...

Mane1234
re-cappin' neve

Post by Mane1234 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:29 am

I've had the molded to fit ones since the mid 90's. I've gotten to the point to where I can't stand to be around loud music without them. It took a while to get used to using them especially playing live but once I did it's been fine. I hear things way better now. I remember back in '94 I had a hearing test and the tech came in after we were done and said, "You play in a band don't you.?"
Of course I've had it in the ear before.....

VineTree
audio school

Thanks to all

Post by VineTree » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:13 am

Hey everyone,

Thank you so much for your response. It's good to know that if I keep up protecting my ears that the ringing has a good chance of going away (even if just for the most part).

These boards are the bomb. =)
VineTree: Dedicated to your sound
vinetreeaudio.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:48 am

You wanna answer that phone?

:twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

accordion squeezist
pushin' record

Post by accordion squeezist » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:25 pm

Which phone?

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:59 pm

:lol:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:59 am

vxboogie wrote:
markjazzbassist wrote:i have future sonics custom in ear monitors, i use them just for plugs as well during rehearsals, and i need to get some cheap foam ones for concerts.
Would FS still have your molds? The plugs from them aren't terribly expensive and should be far superior to foam ones. If you don't do that, I'd get the Etys for about $12. I use my Etys for concerts, but I've not been as comfortable using them for loud FOH gigs since they roll of the highs a bit too much.
Most companies keep your molds for a while.

Beat Poet
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Beat Poet » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:12 pm

I always wear plugs, simple as. When I used to do gigs I didn't bother, but I noticed the quality of my performance suffered as the drums were so loud that I lost perspective of the bigger picture.

charmingtedious
alignin' 24-trk

Post by charmingtedious » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:16 pm

Can I be really gross for a second?

I have a lot of earwax that periodically builds up. I can scrunch my facial muscles and hear what sounds like wind or the ocean.

Occasionally I will go in and get my ears vacuumed out and it all sounds better (and my high end perception improves), but it is expensive!

any tips for ear cleaning?

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:03 pm

Just very careful, and very gentle use of Q-Tips (go for the real thing, more expensive though they may be).

If you're one of those "excessive wax" guys, you've just got to periodically get the vacuuming action. My business partner had it done and couldn't believe the change, so I asked my ENT if I was a candidate, and he said "no, your ears are fine." So, my bad EQ decisions have no excuse other than me...

GJ

charmingtedious
alignin' 24-trk

Post by charmingtedious » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:52 am

Cool, I just called my new insurance provider, and they cover it now!

stylus flanger
alignin' 24-trk

Post by stylus flanger » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:41 pm

everyone should read the labels of any meds, aspirin being one of them, that exasperate hearing damage. zinc and vitamin c are supposedly good for healing some hearing losses thought to be irreversible.

jhharvest
steve albini likes it

Post by jhharvest » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:15 pm

charmingtedious wrote:I have a lot of earwax that periodically builds up. I can scrunch my facial muscles and hear what sounds like wind or the ocean.

Occasionally I will go in and get my ears vacuumed out and it all sounds better (and my high end perception improves), but it is expensive!

any tips for ear cleaning?
Every doctor I've seen on the subject has said "never stick anything smaller than your finger in your ear."

Here's the home remedy I've been recommended:
First soften up the wax with either a commercial ear wax remover (usually some peroxide in a glycerine base), or just a bit of olive oil. Just put in a couple of drops and leave it for 15 minutes. It's best to lie on your side while it's in.

Next you fill up a syringe (without a needle obviously) with body temperature water. This is the trickiest part: if it's too warm or too cold, you might get dizzy. Then you just squirt the water into your ear canal. Start off easy until you figure out the correct force. Repeat if necessary.

This works. I went diving in Zanzibar over the Christmas holidays. On the way back my right ear blocked up completely - it was like wearing a heavy duty ear plug all the time. Here in Tanzania they don't have any ear vacuuming facilities and I didn't fancy a trek to Nairobi just for this so this was the only thing I could do. Being that blocked it took a bit more effort than usual (and was ten times more disgusting when the gunk did come out).