D12 users. on the hunt for a good one - need your input.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:55 pm

Aiight, I approximated equal peak level at -3dBu and put 'em inna spectral analysis plug, check this:

For me, I'm hearing a very reverberant signal from your drum - almost like the drum itself is doing it. What was your mic placement? What is under the drum?

My take on the pictures is there's suffficient low-end info, but excessive high end info - there's much more information between 1 and 8kHz on your D112 ...

Short term solution assuming the mic is the issue (and I have never recorded with a D112 so no hands-on experience if they are all like that) is to pass filter that thing!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:51 pm

i don't now your plug in so it's hard for me to decifer what it means.

i know that a 602 will have more low end and is a more sculpted mic.

the D12 (not D112) - is a older more classic mic.

what I am trying to determine is whether mine is behaving normally or not.

i had it in front of the kick about a foot and a half of the ground - outside the kick angled down 45 degrees. about 3-4 inches off the resonant head.

the drums are on carpet and there is some baffling within the drum (not tons).
the new rules : there are no rules

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:41 am

OK, re the spectral analysis: time is left to right, frequency is low on the bottom to high on the top.

The yellow is low bass and has the most signal intensity.

The purple on your tracks's picture show longer signal duration, which is consistent with my perception of the "reverberant" sound.

Also consistent is that you are using a closed front head with the mic out in front. I'd say the mic is working fine in that the sound you have is entirely consistent with the vibration of the front head, and a bit more room, than where my mic is inside the drum cutout.

As you say, it's a "resonant" head, and that's what you are getting.

My advice, then, is to put a second mic on the beater and combine the two tracks, assuming you don't want to port the front head.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:34 pm

RE 20

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:30 am

vvv - there is a hole in the reso head. the mic is not in front of the hole tho.

nestle - thanks for nothing.

maybe i am not being clear - i am not looking for new techniques for micing a kick drum or tips on getting a good sound.

i am trying to determine if my D12 is operating properly/normally. i sort of expected it to be a bigger/deeper pillowy sound.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:23 pm

My thought was, try it in the hole (as she said! :twisted: )

By what I mean, to me, your mic track seems to have adequate bottom, but the mids and top are wierd, what I theorize may be because of any of the factors I listed, but primarily because you are out front of the kick.

The D112 is a mic commonly called "pre-EQ'd", as is, for example, the E602. The RE320, (what I have), has a EQ setting allegedly designed to maximise low-end instruments, such as the kick. (On the RE320, there's even a symbol like a "-v-".)

Me, I'd try it inside, see if it sounds better, sounds "right".

FWI, AKG says here, "Bass drum: Make sure to switch the preattenuation pad in (sound pressure levels may be as high as 160 dB SPL). Remove the front head and place the microphone inside the shell. The further you place the mic away from the rear head, the fatter the sound will be. Directing the microphone exactly at the point where the beater strikes the head may be less desirable as this will produce a dry click with virtually no bass content." (italics mine)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:45 pm

ok - i think you are trying to help vvv and i appreciate that, but as already previously stated - i am not trying to find new ways to mic the drum. the issue is not - HOW DO I GET A GOOD KICK DRUM SOUND - it's DOES THIS MIC SOUND LIKE IT'S WORKING PROPERLY.

you'd have to have used the mic a lot or own one to probably know.

i know that the producers i like who use this mic - mic the outside of the reso head - i have seen tons of pics. they are not going for a strong emphasis on attack - they are looking for low end oomph.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:40 am

Best of luck to you.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

top_ape
alignin' 24-trk

Post by top_ape » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:18 am

Yeah, definitely don't try it in different places or anything. I'm sure if it doesn't sound good it's either that the mic is broken or...perhaps you've not yet acquired enough of the gear that your favorite producers use to get good sounds?

Don't listen to what other people say; it's 99% gear and only 1% ears and technique.?

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:36 am

wow, a lot of attitude that i am not accustomed to seeing on this board!

listen, this is not gearslutz and i am not some idiot who is unwilling to try new ideas and thinks that gear will solve anythining - this is just a very specific quest that i am on and the post was addressed to D12 users as i am looking for knowledge that only they would really have. sorry if that offended anyone but as this is a vintage mic and no longer in production, i have no other way to find out if this one sounds like a working D12 should.

E.Bennett
re-cappin' neve

Post by E.Bennett » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:11 pm

Did you get the chance to record some pink noise?

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:34 pm

i don't own any reference mics with which to compare

E.Bennett
re-cappin' neve

Post by E.Bennett » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:16 pm

if you have a sdc, compare with that or just record with the d12. that still might provide useful info.

pandemic
pushin' record

Post by pandemic » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:08 pm

maybe mine was busted too (in a good way) but I never found mine to be pillowy. Nice mids....solid bottom yes....boomy...No. I regret (every day) selling mine.
Good Luck At Any Cost

pandemic
pushin' record

Post by pandemic » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:09 pm

I also loved mine on some male vocals...right up on it. funny. Maybe mine was wonky. Still miss it.
Good Luck At Any Cost