New 5W Tube Amps on a Rhodes?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Int'l Feel
gimme a little kick & snare

New 5W Tube Amps on a Rhodes?

Post by Int'l Feel » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:59 am

I've got a 1977 Rhodes (Mark I, maybe. Not sure since it was pulled from an Amtrak lounge car and just says "Amtrak" and "Rhodes" on the front).

When I'm recording, I just go DI, but I was thinking about picking up one of those new small tube amps (ie. Vox AC4TV, Fender Champion, etc.) for apartment playing. Has anybody tried a Rhodes through one of those little amps?

Thanks in advance.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:07 am

I've used a Vox pathfinder with my Rhodes for club gigs.It sounds good and is loud enough to play with a drummer/band.
A 5w tube amp might sound nice but I'll bet it starts to fuzz out before you get it up to a reasonable level. Headroom is your friend with the Rhodes.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:07 am

If when recording you're using a DI, I'd imagine you want a pretty clean sound? If so I don't know that all the great small tube amps (which I LOVE) would cut it. For that kind of sound anyway. I think it'd sound great, but not too clean. I use my Rhodes into my silverface Bassman 50, and even with that I can distort it a bit pretty easily (which is what I often use it for). Small amps would probably give you a really great and interesting sound, but like A.David.MacKinnon said, if you're looking for remotely clean, then like with slide guitar headroom is your friend.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

austin
takin' a dinner break

Post by austin » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:50 pm

I love the sound of my Rhodes through my silverface Vibro Champ. Super clean is definitely not what I'm going for... But it's not like it's mega-fuzz territory, either. For "apartment playing" you wouldn't have to crank it to 10.

I say try it, especially if you can borrow one first to test it out.

chorga1
pushin' record

Post by chorga1 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:39 pm

I run my stage 73 through an emerysound amp. 6-10watts pushing a small 10".

Clean or dirty depends upon the gain staging in the amp.

I think it sounds great!

Int'l Feel

Post by Int'l Feel » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:09 am

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Ideally, it would be great to get something clean that can also break up pretty nicely too. I have an Orange Crush amp that I've been using in the interim, but I'm finding that colors the sound too much. I've also got an Ampeg VT-40, but I haven't been happy with the Rhodes through that either.

I do have a spare Fender PA speaker lying around. I suppose I could get just a pre-amp instead?

tdbajus
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by tdbajus » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:33 am

In my old band, our Rhodes player used my old, totally unreliable, but super awesome sounding Magnatone 213 combo- the one that Evil Robot modeled their amp after.

That vibrato on that amp was mind blowing. Just a hair too quiet for a loud drummer. Been lusting after one of those amps for a while, but I'm trying to narrow down my collection of thing I own for other people to play through.

Int'l Feel

Post by Int'l Feel » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:25 pm

That Evil Robot looks pretty neat too. I'm looking for something a little less expensive

Meanwhile..looks like you can change the output of the Vox AC4TV (4w, 1w, 1/4w) to get that desired head room or get nasty. Interesting...

tdbajus
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by tdbajus » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:17 pm

Just went to their website. One of the guys responsible for this amp (he doesn't seem like the designer, but his name is on it) demoes it. Sounds a bit too much like he's playing open mike night though. After listening to him crack thru few seconds Sammy Hagar-esque hot licks, I gave up on trying to hear what their new import version of the amp sounds like.

Dude need to watch some of those totally ego-less demo videos that guy Andy does at PGS.

Anyway, their import is less than $900, or something lik that. My aversion to Hagar made me close the window pretty quickly. No disrespect.