CD Recorder recommendations? From Tascam 388 mix..

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

WhinyLittleRunt
ass engineer

CD Recorder recommendations? From Tascam 388 mix..

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:04 pm

I have a Tascam 388 and a few 2-track r2r decks (nothing special, a Teac 4010S, a Realistic 494 and Sony TC-252D). I've decided when my new studio is finished, I want to keep the computer out of the picture and do an all-analog setup. I'm sick of looking at a computer to record stuff; it's so un-inspiring when I look at a computer all day as it is... But anyway...

So I know it's not really possible to distribute recordings these days in full analog because the majority of people want to have it on their iPod or a CD, etc. So I'm fine with that. I figured I'd be able to bounce my mixes from the 388 to a 2-track recorder, or direct from the 388, into a rackmount CD-recorder. Does this sound logical? Any particular units I can look out for that aren't really expensive?

On that same note, any other 388-tested outboard gear I might want to look into? Anything that seems to work well with that deck specifically?

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:13 am

i believe tascam still makes a dual CD and cassette recorder. that way you could keep it all analog (to cassette) if you want or do digital.

cool idea though, i've though about this before too.

WhinyLittleRunt
ass engineer

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:09 am

I've seen that dual recorder for sale; sounds like that may be my best bet, and I could buy new.
Thanks!

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:23 pm

The only downside to using a CD burner is that you are skipping the mastering process. It's not as if CD burners can be used to make replication masters.

If you are sending your music out to get mastered, you would want to give the mastering engineer a 24 bit file instead of a 16 bit audio CD that's possibly filled with errors.

I've also heard rumors that blank CD media might go the way of the dinosaur pretty soon, since it doesn't hold that much compared to a thumb drive.

I understand what you are trying to do, but I don't understand the difference between a stand alone CD burner and an interface into a computer with a burner. It's just converters and a digital storage medium.

You can, of course, assemble, master and create an actual replication master with the computer. That's not possible with a CD recorder.

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:53 pm

Get an Alesis ( used) Masterlink..You can keep the mixdown at 24 bit( or 16 if you wish... :wink: ) with a sampling rate of up to 96khz if you wish. Plus, if you feel the need you can do " psyeudo" mastering in it also..Good luck...

j.harv
gettin' sounds

Post by j.harv » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:07 pm

I have a Tascam CDRW 700 Cd recorder that I use with my 388.
Its a nice unit that does the job just fine.
I got a good deal on my local online classifieds.$100 mint in box.