Where did everybody go?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:41 pm

Now I'm thinkin' about recording me eating a chicken sandwich ...

What compressor?

:twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

The Real MC
steve albini likes it

Post by The Real MC » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:04 pm

GS has a lot of idiots who think they are audio experts. The signal-to-noise ratio is far better here.

Jerry_Pbury
audio school graduate

Post by Jerry_Pbury » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:12 pm

cgarges wrote:Well, where have YOU been, Jerry? HAHA! Maybe ask yourself that question and you'll get

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Chris! I know what you mean. So much has been going on the last few years. Kids growing up moving away and getting married. Wife still lives in Charlotte and I still live in Cincinnati. My business has been going up and down, been traveling a lot and riding my motorcycles. Finally decided to let go of most of my recording equipment and musical instruments as I will never have the time that I used to for them. Still keeping the high end stuff for now and finishing off the projects, built a pair of LA2A's, pair of 1176 rev. D's and a pair of SSL G4000 stereo comps. Plus 10 channels of classic pre's. So many projects, so little time. I also build my own tube guitar amps and build Harley's (we have 5!). But I am back! BTW Facebook is a great way to keep in touch with the kids (6) and grandkids (11)! But that is all I use it for now.

Jerry

jhharvest
steve albini likes it

Post by jhharvest » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:03 am

I know I've just joined but I only try to post to threads I feel I have personal experience of. (I'm also limited by our electricity and internet, which we don't have every day.) I read most threads, however, with keen interest. There's, what seems to me, a lot of very good discussion on different topics.

Studiodawg
takin' a dinner break

Post by Studiodawg » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:04 am

GS has self fabricated experts and I've found it wrapped up in some sort of pissing contest (well, at least the location recording sub-forum). I have managed to deprogram myself from the urge to visit GS. This forum generally doesn't get bogged down by narrowed minded "my way thinkers" that mire GS. FB is definitely a narcotic website. I wish MySpace didn't render itself useless a couple years ago. I guess we should all band together and have a "forum party"...I imagine some of you will be in Austin, TX for that party...

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:06 pm

not that I am the lexicon of info that some of the more experienced engineers on here, but I used to post alot more. I am just really limited on time lately (new baby and a corperate job to pay the bills)....so I usually just lurk from my phone at lunch. Also it seems that alot of the more conversationally "gifted" long timers seem to post less....probably just busy like me.

maybe it means people are spending more time recording, instead of just talking about it?

who knows....but it is kinda sad. To me this place was like the Cheers of music forums....but now maybe a bit more Taxi or MASH. Not that it's bad, just a little more somber and a little less jovial.

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:54 am

Anyway, if you guys think this place has gotten bad check out the new PSW forum. Overnight one of the best engineering forums out there suddenly became tumbleweed central. Depressing.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:11 am

Yeah, my 3 year old has taken a ton of my free time, who would have thought? :lol:

Still, TOMB is hands down the best forum/community I have found on the internet by far. But I do miss the old days; Soundguy, Alphajerk and of course Joel's soundlosophical postings!

I mostly use gearslutz to buy and sell. People over there seem to buy crap loads of stuff they can't afford and turn around and sell it rock bottom like 5 days later. I have also sold some stuff to some pretty cool people over there. My old Avenson's went to Ryan Hewitt for example and he was a super nice guy to deal with. But other than the New Product or Guest forums they have, I just can't see any sense of community over there. Of course, its a million times larger and more fragmented too.

Beat Poet
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Beat Poet » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:18 am

GS is a valuable resource, but there does seem to be a clique of old guys on there who sneer at young 'uns "taking our jobs". If they were such pros, surely they would still be working and not spending so much time on a message board?

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:10 am

Yeah, the TOMB is still my favorite, even if it's lost a lot of traffic to social media. I don't really have the time or patience to sift through the low-signal-to-noise ratio on GS anymore.

PSW is a different story though - They created a new forum at a new address and kept the old one up but inactive at its original location as an archive. It was a confusing and totally botched migration, and it never recovered. There's some speculation it was mishandled on purpose, but I'm not so sure.

What's come up to really replace it is PRW or "Pro Recording Workshop". They seem to be growing well, but I still feel more at home at the TOMB. They have a pretty cool and very active section on "music news", where users post interesting articles on music, audio, techniques, releases, and relevant economic and legal developments and then discuss them with a decent measure of civility and intelligence.

It might be cool to have something like that here. (Although it might require a little extra work from the moderators.)

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:27 pm

I chalk it up to "climate change" in the virtual world-- time just marches steadily on, crushing whatever went before it. The early days of the messageboards, we will probably bore our grandchildren with tales of its glories-- all the give and take had a keen edge to it, it seemed like quite alot was at stake and much was proven... gets dimmer all the time, though. I mean-- there was a time BEFORE you had to sit dumbly while a Ford commercial droned on obnoxiously... yet unfortunately that time has come.

I also seem to be alot busier, and busier in a way that precisely exploits the strange changes besetting us... Photobucket and Youtube 'novelties'? Not any more... they're front and center of every single day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsRono7qiTY
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

themagicmanmdt
george martin

Post by themagicmanmdt » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:02 pm

i think that so many years of messageboardpostings have created our own backlog of solutions, topics discussed, problems encountered, etc; that when a lot of people (myself included) consult TOMB or google for some communication, many things I read that either answer my question or satisfy my information about technique, etc are already archived...

yet, i mostly post and troll when i'm bored, honestly, or in dire need of some help. there's too much to do in the world! so, i try to help (as we all do) when we're here, and then just laugh the rest off/up/away.
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape
valves and serviceability

*chief tech and R&D shaman at shadow hills industries*

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:10 pm

vvv wrote:"waxes and wanes"
...is probably my fav Cocteau Twins song: http://youtu.be/v-iOOsZHS6s

I like the attitude (or lack of it) that prevails on this board. There are stretches when I'm too busy DOING recording/music to stop and talk about it. But for gear research, non-knucklehead opinions on new products, harvesting new ideas, and armchair/vicarious enjoyment of the recording process when there's NOT an active project on my plate.... TOMB is the spot.

Leigh

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:41 pm

I'm back after taking some time off and lurking for a while. Definitely noticed the gain turned down over here. Not a worry. Love this place.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:57 am

There's less humor then there used to be.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis