Identify this type of audio file corruption?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Seamonster
takin' a dinner break

Identify this type of audio file corruption?

Post by Seamonster » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:41 pm

I've encountered a bizarre sort of audio file corruption ? new to me ? which I'm hoping someone will be able to identify (link below), and perhaps to recommend a fix.

While I've been in the long process of building a new studio and a lot of my gear has been dismantled, I've taken work transcribing and editing interviews (for a memoir). In three of the many dozens of recordings made by the interviewer using a Sony ICD-UX71 handheld recorder, the audio suddenly becomes garbled. Typically this occurs 45 to 60 minutes into the file and continues to the end; the files are each from 1.5 to 3 hours in length.

I intuit that the distortion is caused by some sort of file corruption rather than anything electrical or mechanical happening during the recordings; that it could have been caused by something like the recorder's batteries running low during transfer of the file to a computer, a glitchy USB cable, or something of that sort. A web search reveals several other users experiencing similar "garblage" symptoms, but no solid conjecture on causes or remedies.

Here's a sample snippet. It's approx. 40 seconds long (6.7 MB); the voices are normal for the first 10 seconds, then the garbling kicks in. (There are other noises too ? the subjects are eating, or doing something like that.)

http://seamonstersounds.com/mp3s/FerbleClip.aif

I could attempt to isolate the signal from the noise using EQ or perhaps Izotope RX2, but I'm hoping there's a more surgical fix to be made on the files themselves ? perhaps using something like Soundhack? I don't have RX2, but surely it doesn't have a function that would fix the problem directly(?) (I do have the old Ionizer, so maybe I'd resurrect an OS9 boot partition to run it, before I'd spring for RX2.)

- K Hill

P.S. The first correct answer wins %&(*#! %& )%*($ #_@&%(#&....
www.seamonstersounds.com
"May my silences become more accurate." -Theodore Roethke, poet

Seamonster
takin' a dinner break

Post by Seamonster » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:05 pm

Someone suggested the problem is "misaligned data" and/or "buffer underrun," which would seem to describe it exactly. So I half-wonder if there's some developer's tool with which I could identify the moment where the data goes out of alignment and surgically realign the data (analogous to zooming in tight on a waveform to re-draw a glitch).

But oh well, at least I can tell the client what she's up against, with some degree of precision.
www.seamonstersounds.com

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:58 pm

Wow, never heard anything exactly like that before. Sounds like he turned into an underwater Cylon, there...

I guess the mis-aligned data thing is as good a guess as any.

GJ

Seamonster
takin' a dinner break

Post by Seamonster » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:54 pm

Dunno what a Cylon is (except that it's something in Battlestar Galactica, which I've not seen), but I believe you must be exactly right.

I've downloaded several apps that do analysis-resynthesis (or something similar), though haven't yet tried playing with them. They include: Spear, Photosounder, Tapestrea, rt_lpc and Mammut. Can't say whether any of those will help much, but it should be a fun exploration/diversion.
www.seamonstersounds.com

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:48 am

I find that media players have differing ways of interpreting codecs. It might be worth a try to see if the audio is decipherable with other programs. Specifically, I think I'd try Media Player Classic, VLC, Reaper and potentially SUPER to see if anything was willing to read the file correctly.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:52 am

Also, you should see if you can play the files off the recorder, itself, if you have access to it.

Seamonster
takin' a dinner break

Post by Seamonster » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:26 am

The fact that the few bad files play fine for the first hour or so then suddenly go bad beyond that point suggests that it's not a simple question of the codec.

Loading them back onto the original recorder would seem like a good idea, but the same file-goes-from-good-to-bad concept applies. And I don't know if the client even kept the original mp3's (what the recorder generated), but we did check her earliest safety copies, which were conversions to WAV format.

I think the problem is beyond any salvation via file trickery; I'll just have to try audio tools ? EQ, noise-reduction, and/or analysis-resynthesis ? to see how much I can separate the signal from the noise. (Not sure how soon I'll get to it, as I have other projects on the burner; the client views it as a lesson learned at this point and is in no hurry for me to make the impossible happen....)
www.seamonstersounds.com