Minimum PC requirements for stable Presonus 24x4x2"

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Minimum PC requirements for stable Presonus 24x4x2"

Post by Burnt Ernie » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:42 pm

Running out of patience trying to stay analog,what with tape costs,etc.
I have a line on a 24 x 4 x 2,and the ONLY WAY I can justify it is a ONE TIME
PC buy/build. Anyone with any experience/YAY!/BOO!,or otherwise? I've used
the 16 x 4 x 2 live a few times,it seems pretty feature heavy for the cost,but
if it's gonna require a ton of time or money researching,setting up,troubleshooting,etc-it's gonns be like most of my other digital experiences-
Ahem-"Less than satisfying"
I am the Walnut

Tim Casey
pushin' record

Post by Tim Casey » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:23 am

I've used my 16-4-2 on a three-year-old iMac and a three-year-old Macbook pro. The software that comes with it is simple - it's just a copy of the mixer itself.

The mixer takes a few days to get used to, but once you do, it's a godsend.

I don't think the computer is going to be stressed by the mixer. I think the DAW you choose, along with any plugins you will be running, are going to determine the computer you'll need.

If you've been using analog, you've been used to a limited track count. I've never had a problem running 24 tracks of 24-bit audio on any computer since 2000.

minorkeylee
gettin' sounds

Post by minorkeylee » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:39 pm

If you've been using analog, you've been used to a limited track count. I've never had a problem running 24 tracks of 24-bit audio on any computer since 2000.[/quote wrote:
Exactly.

Buy an upper level ie. good quality build machine (pc/mac), or better yet, build your own, keep it clean and possibly off the internet, and you are golden for a long time. Don't skimp on the graphics card....and make sure you get a dual output card (two monitors).

The Presonus units are cool. The lack of fader recall (or at least mechanical fader recall) is weird, but there's always the display marker beside the track. Good enough.

cyantologist
gettin' sounds

Post by cyantologist » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:37 am

Just a side question, if I may tag on to the thread. Just wondering if anyone could just explain or elaborate a little bit more about the significance of having a higher-end video card? I build my own systems and happen to have a decent card at the moment in my recording computer, but am really just curious as to how much of a difference makes and why.