Printing Mix to 8 Track Otari 5050

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Printing Mix to 8 Track Otari 5050

Post by bannerj » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:26 pm

I know I should just give it a try, but before I get into it...I thought I'd see if anyone has experience or thought of what I should consider.

I really like printing my digital mixes over to 2 tracks of my 8, but thinking that it is more ideal to print to a 2 track 1/2 instead........what about sending the L & R out of my converter to a couple tracks of the 5050. I think I can configure my LIO 8 to do this or some other strategy...maybe exporting and importing deinterleved files...reimporting L & R and making mults of them assigned to different outs:

L out to analog 2,3,4
R out to analog 5,6,7

Maybe
L to all 1-4
R to all 5-8

Knowing my machine hasn't been properly aligned in a few years, I know I'll have some discrepancies in levels/gain staging. My meters are quite accurate either. I'm supposing a few passes to try to balance with my ear and then taking what anomalies come out as possible happy accidents.

Is there any serious problems with this? Would the benefits be conceivably negligible?

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Post by bannerj » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:48 pm

hmmm....nada?

Either no one has tried this (which seems surprising)

or I'm missing something really stupid about this idea.

E.Bennett
re-cappin' neve

Post by E.Bennett » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:01 pm

i think the first issue would be phase anomalies if your azimuth wasn't spot on. there are more, but that would be my first concern. who knows, maybe it will turn out sounding great. give it a go.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:02 pm

or you could get an interface with 8 analog outs, so you can send 8 buss mixes to tape, then back into digital and mix.

that way everything gets a little more color.

or just track to analog and mix it digitally.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:49 am

bannerj wrote:Either no one has tried this (which seems surprising)
i tried this years ago. alas it wasn't too happening. as e bennett mentioned, you can have some phase weirdness when sending the same track to multiple tracks on the otari...it's not a good sound.

of course, give it a try, but i would say you're likely gonna get better results just printing to two tracks.

flocentblack
audio school graduate

Post by flocentblack » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:59 pm

Even if azimuth and electrical alignment is set as perfect as it can be, there will still be some phase difference depending on the track and frequency, which can be quickly verified with white noise and an oscilloscope in X-Y mode, like MoreSpaceEcho said, you most likely will be better off printing to two tracks vs eight.
Eric Bartlett

Eric's Audio Repair
Nashville, TN
615-480-4045

http://amprepairnashville.com