Spring cleaning!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Spring cleaning!

Post by Brett Siler » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:59 pm

I opened up this beast and cleaned out the whole thing. Dispite being somewhat a pain in the ass it paid off. It was pretty suprising how much better it sounded after getting out the dirt and dust and hosing it down with Deoxit. The board is actually much more quiet and clearer sound. I'm gonna try and stay on top of this twice a year.

You guys do any spring cleaning yet this year?

Nate Dort
tinnitus

Post by Nate Dort » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:09 pm

I took my yearly shower this week. Unfortunately, my bass playing has suffered as a result. Guess I'm just not as funky as before.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:14 pm

It is a constant juggling act of finding time to play, while recording other peoples stuff or just getting into other aspects of recording.

Tragabigzanda
steve albini likes it

Post by Tragabigzanda » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:34 pm

Spent two days doing Mac maintenance: opening every single session, losing the unneeded bits of audio when possible, trashing prefs and ditching useless plug-ins and other programs, repairing disk permissions. 30gb more space and a much smoother operation for the really big sessions now! Last week I took a couple days for taxes, this week was computer maitenance, and next week will be fixing bad cables and headphones.

I really think that to be successful in his biz, you've got to find some sense of joy in maintenance and organization.
Alex C. McKenzie

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:25 pm

Nice. I'm trying to stay on top of the computer maintenance stuff so it doesn't get to the point of two days worth of work. I try and trash the pref files and digi data base files and all that about once every two weeks. This just seem to work smoother after you do that.

Yeah my next project is organizing cables, fixing up my patch bays and making lots of cables for rack gear.