Soundtoys Freebie(!): Little Radiator ...an overview!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Tuneitus
audio school

Soundtoys Freebie(!): Little Radiator ...an overview!

Post by Tuneitus » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:50 pm

I've been having a blast with this thing on drums, and some old vocals my ex-girlfriend recorded. Be gentle with it though!

It's based on the Altec 1566A...have any of you used the real thing ?

You can pick it up for free for a while, soundtoys are running a promo on it, but you need a code to download it. Here's mine:
https://www.soundtoys.com/sxsw2012/&rc=300-3679-497

Little Radiator

Everyone needs a little warmth in their life. Little Radiator models the classic sound of the Altec 1566A mic preamp, and lets you spread some analog tube magic on your mixes. This was one of the main sounds from the classic Motown mixes, became a secret weapon of boutique producers, and is now a vital part of the sound of bands like the Black Keys. Why? Give it a listen and hear. Subtle warmth, or driving grit, all the things you need to shake the "clean" off of your computer recording. Now you're getting that warm feeling.
Radiator. Coming April 2012

This upgrade from Little Radiator is based on the Altec 1567A (the 1566A's big brother). It's the next level in this classic sound with extra control and an extra SoundToys twist. Details coming soon.
A Bit of History

The unmistakable green-faced Altec gear, and in particular the 1566A and 1567A, played a big part in shaping the early "sound" of Motown between 1961 to 1964. Songs by greats like The Four Tops, The Marvelettes and The Supremes went through a 1567A mixer to the massive three track recorder. Ahhh, when life was simple. These mic preamps and mixers have a very colored warm sound and are very loud. The EQ is as simple as it gets, with one knob for bass, and another for treble. After Motown, and after much gear came and went, analog diehards began seeking out the 1566A and 1567A as inexpensive sources for real tube sound. Producer Matt Wallace was a very big fan. Butch Vig and Billy Bush are also fans. Check out our Gear Closet on the 1567A for even more info.
Last edited by Tuneitus on Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:11 am

Why do I need an Ilok to run a free plugin? Sigh.

dubold
steve albini likes it

Post by dubold » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:41 am

red cross wrote:Why do I need an Ilok to run a free plugin? Sigh.
this, x4000.

although I suspect it's because it won't be free forever. Still annoying though.

Tuneitus
audio school

Post by Tuneitus » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:08 pm

Ya it's only free for a limited time
and it's then gonna be worth about $75 ?

I think the idea is to try and offset the cost of an iLok for folks, if you have nothing in principle against iLoks it's an opportunity to effectively get the plugin for about half price, and a free iLok. or an iLok with a free plugin. Whatever way you want to look at it.

Plugins like this I don't mind being dongle protected and the pace drivers have been solid for a considerable amount of years now.

I'll post some demos later!

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:40 pm

What a horrible registration/license experience.

I work with computers all day and I can't even figure this out.
Your Little Radiator license and installer will now be shown in your SoundToys.com account
Wrong.
You will still need to go to http://www.iLok.com and download your authorization to get started with Little Radiator.
What do I have to do then, drive to Guitar Center to activate it?

Fuck off.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:31 am

It took a bit of doing, but I did figure out the reg/lic stuff. Silly, but workable. And the plug-in is cool. I've already used it on a sound design piece. Good for free, might not pay $75 for it.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:07 am

I was off my meds yesterday, will try again.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:52 am

I thought spamming the board with obvious ads/promotions wasn't allowed. The OP should be a banner ad on the home page, IMO.

Tuneitis, you work for these people, right? You should disclose that in your post.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Tuneitus
audio school

Post by Tuneitus » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:04 pm

hi Snari,
first of all I do NOT work for soundtoys!
As a student I have scrimped & scrounged to give them the FULL PRICE for their native bundle, only to discover that not long after they introduced an academic discount scheme (if I'm not mistaken). Despite telling me it wasn't their policy, and not gonna happen.

C'est la vie.

Basically the idea that I work for them is super wrong.

As for 'spamming'
Well I don't agree with you. I posted a link to a free plugin. It's genuinely free, assuming you use an iLok at least which I think is fair to assume is a common thing for computer musicians to have. Not the majority, but enough to be considered common at least. So ya, I do consider the plugin to be genuinely free.

So posting a link to a free plugin is spamming ? From a reputable DSP developer ? that makes widely desired plugins ? ... I don't agree.

To download it however does mean using a code. That's unavoidable, it's not like theres an alternative. There is absolutely NO WAY you can get this plugin without some individual getting some kind of e-credit for it. Nothing I can do about it, I can't feel, personally, guilty about it.
It's free.
It sounds great.
Get it if you've got an iLok, or move along to the next thread if you don't.

I think It's worth getting an iLok for!

suppositron
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by suppositron » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:18 am

I didn't think the registration was that bad. Had it done, downloaded and installed in about 20 minutes.

Aren't iloks like $15 or something? What's the big deal? I have one from purchasing the SSL waves bundle.
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:c'mon. everyone knows that roland really starts to sing when you push the master up.

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:14 pm

I have an old altec clone which i quite like. Nice pre.
Last edited by blungo2 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:30 am

Er, so how does it sound? Worth getting an Ilok for this? If it isn't a step up from Tapehead I think I might just skip it.

kinger
steve albini likes it

Post by kinger » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:51 am

red cross wrote:Er, so how does it sound? Worth getting an Ilok for this? If it isn't a step up from Tapehead I think I might just skip it.
IMHO, it's just okay. I would definitely not go and buy an Ilok just to use it.
Last edited by kinger on Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Neil Weir
pushin' record

Post by Neil Weir » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:20 pm

I used this thing on a drum bus the other day followed by a TG 12413 (doing some light limiting) and it sounded nice.

The registration process was smooth, too.
Neil Weir

suppositron
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by suppositron » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:37 am

I tried it out on guitar and vocals yesterday. I like it. It's definitely got a different distortion character than any other plugin I have. Pretty smooth.
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:c'mon. everyone knows that roland really starts to sing when you push the master up.