Tascam 388 - No sound in Right Channel (but works in mono!?)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

steviejingles
studio intern

Tascam 388 - No sound in Right Channel (but works in mono!?)

Post by steviejingles » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:07 am

I wrote this in the 388 thread, but no one replied. I'm hoping that I may get a little more traffic here... Sorry for the repetition.

I just got a 388, and it seems to be working fine except:

There is no Right Channel output happening on my 388. Whether it's headphones of Monitors, there is no sound coming from the right channel. All of the Track meters are looking fine when the tape is recording and playing back, and the Left channel meter looks great, but nothing is happening in the right channel (visually or sound-wise).

I know that something must be working as it should, because when I hit the mono switch, voila! There is sound in both channels coming through the headphones and monitors, and the meters then work for both channels.

But, then when I switch back to stereo, the Right channel disappears once again.

I don't know if this is my 388s way of telling me to only record in mono from here on in... but I would love to be able to fix this issue. If you have ANY idea how to help, I would be forever grateful.

Thanks

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:52 am

check for this:
Check that no Red "L/R Stereo" assign button is depressed simultaneously as the White "1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8" assign buttons are pressed on any channel.

The L/R Stereo and Monitor subsystems share the same internal Master L/R-buss signal route to the outside world. Pressing any White assign button simultaneously as any Red assign button causes the 388 to go into auto-mute, to prevent an internal feedback loop.

That's my 2? about one of the major "gotchas" in operation that's not clearly stated in the manual.

On the Monitor subsystem, you must also use the headphone level control for overall levels, w/headphone section set to "Stereo".

steviejingles
studio intern

Post by steviejingles » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:45 am

I had already tried that, but thanks a lot for the help.

Last night when I was playing around with the 388, it just started working perfectly. So at least I know it's not BROKEN, and it's probably just a loose something somewhere... Now to find out which of the 14000000 parts it could be

Gumdropp
audio school

Re: Tascam 388 - No sound in Right Channel (but works in mono!?)

Post by Gumdropp » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:30 pm

Did you ever solve it? I'm experiencing the same issue with mine! :roll:

obi91
audio school

Re: Tascam 388 - No sound in Right Channel (but works in mono!?)

Post by obi91 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:54 am

Bonjour,
I have the exact same problem / behavior on my Tascam 388.
Has anyone ever work on this problem and may be solved it ?
Thank you in advance ;-)